gm points to hei conversion...please help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2009, 05:26 PM
TALL TOYS TALLER STORIES

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

gm points to hei conversion...please help

does anyone know if ignition man is still out there.im interested in his ignition conversion for my early style gm points distributor.any other help would be appreciated though.i have an 82 toyota 4x4 with a 383 stroker motor and an early style gm points setup wich is giving me trouble now and im troubleshooting it now.after more than twenty years since a points style distributor im kinda at a loss as to where to start.i dont have any room for a junkyard large body distributor and frankly im on i budget with money.my wife drives the truck to and from work,and comes home well after eleven p.m. i cant afford to have her broke down on the side road these days.Ive heard so much crap about whats good and whats not msd accell unilite....where do i go from here.never had any bad luck with stock parts but i have no room.p.s. i didnt build this system so i dont know how it is really wired ie ballast resistor etc...someone help me please...im no electrical expert and im new to this bullitin board....im pretty much old school but nuthin beats elictronic ignition.....thanks guys...and girls too

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I have used this in several cars without any problems.if your on a budget or not this is pretty good for the money.petronix ignition check jegs/summit . http://www.jegs.com/ cole
Old 04-02-2009, 05:41 PM
TALL TOYS TALLER STORIES

Last photo:

thanks elec431962

i appreciate the fast reply,ill check it out still looking for other options too.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:54 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

What trouble is the old dizzy giving you ? Could be a simple fixps
Old 04-02-2009, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

Here's Daves website Daves HEI

His conversion work isn't exactly cheap, nor would I call it that expensive either, He does good work at a fair price. I've been using one of his conversions for several years now and its been working great!
Old 04-02-2009, 06:32 PM
TALL TOYS TALLER STORIES

Last photo:

points trouble

just quit starting yesterday,been hard starting for several days,its been raining here and no garage so i cant check it out as of yet but hopefully tomorrows supposed to change.ive still got to check for spark from the coil wire etc.then ill go from there.i did get a chance to clean up the points but still got no fire.its kinda hard to check spark as im working on it myself and my arms dont reach the ignition key and wires lmao.i also heard that theres supposed to be a resistor in the wire somewhere wich will burn up points?have no idea since its a conversion motor and such and i didnt wire it up.all the wires are pretty much taped up and harnessed.its not a chop job install,the motors tight and ive never seen a motor run as smooth as this.ive been told 383 strokers are tuff to balance.like i said in all my years ive never seen a smoother running motor and all of a sudden nuthin yet.im sure its simple but simple is always hard to find lol.im not totally without a brain,just havent done points troubleshooting in a long time.i do have fuel.brand new edelbrock 600 cfm.i do appreciate the help.thanks
Old 04-02-2009, 06:46 PM
TALL TOYS TALLER STORIES

Last photo:

points to hei

p.s. thanks hotup32 i did check out daves that you sent me too,id love to have one and no it would be well worth it but im on the cheap for now.have you heard anything about the accel and mallery conversion kits from summit,there about 60 bucks or so,i want to stay away from pertronics for now ive heard horror stories from the past im sure they figured that stuff out now but im still leary....thanks a lot guys i really appreciateall this ill post some pictures of our so called rods for you to see soon.there not 32,s or coupes but we live in four by country.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

[quote]Timberwulf1.i want to stay away from pertronics for now ive heard horror stories from the past im sure they figured that stuff out now but im still leary....]
what kind of horror stories? cause i am running petronix in my 70 mach 1 might be something i need to know. cole

Last edited by eloc431962; 04-02-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:54 PM
TALL TOYS TALLER STORIES

Last photo:

pertronix

ive just read about it today while i was looking for hei swaps but the posts were old as in 2006 2007 etc nuthing recent.just read about quite a few of them burning up almost causing fires etc just like hot wiring a coil and leaving it hot.not a good combo.but they were old posts and im sure by now the bugs if any are all takin care of.im not knocking them as ive never had one or known of anyone personally with one and more replys stated they liked the setup than those that didnt.more then likely it could also be those that installed them were done improperly.i wouldnt worry about your setup \
but i did read the stories on here.not only that but second hand stories are usually exagerated anyhow.if i had one i would use it and if my truck burned up from it id cry.as with anything electrical or fuel related,fires and such are always a factor.you could type in questions about pertronix on here and maybe get more than what i know wich isnt much.i mean even points if you leave the key on they will or could fry wich could cause any number of problems.or so ive heard.so i wouldnt worry.im just looking at all the options i can and trying to find an affordable solution to rid my points system.id swap in a large hei dist. but it wouldnt come close to fitiing. thanx and i appologize for startling you.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:38 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwulf1
does anyone know if ignition man is still out there.im interested in his ignition conversion for my early style gm points distributor.any other help would be appreciated though.i have an 82 toyota 4x4 with a 383 stroker motor and an early style gm points setup wich is giving me trouble now and im troubleshooting it now.after more than twenty years since a points style distributor im kinda at a loss as to where to start.i dont have any room for a junkyard large body distributor and frankly im on i budget with money.my wife drives the truck to and from work,and comes home well after eleven p.m. i cant afford to have her broke down on the side road these days.Ive heard so much crap about whats good and whats not msd accell unilite....where do i go from here.never had any bad luck with stock parts but i have no room.p.s. i didnt build this system so i dont know how it is really wired ie ballast resistor etc...someone help me please...im no electrical expert and im new to this bullitin board....im pretty much old school but nuthin beats elictronic ignition.....thanks guys...and girls too
Distributors with points worked fine for about 75 years before HEI and other electronic ignition systems came out. While I agree that an electronic ignition system is good, it is by no means necessary. If you're really on a tight budget, why not figure out what's really wrong first, before throwing money at the problem. Point ignition systems have only a handful of parts.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:43 PM
TALL TOYS TALLER STORIES

Last photo:

reply to Joe P.

Your absolutely right Joe.I did hunt down the problem,or most of it anyways.The points looked pretty good but the cap and rotor are pretty well used.So i cleaned them up and got a pretty good fire but not AS good as it could be.I havent yet taken out the plugs yet im sure there prob well used too,although when she runs she runs good,just a bit hard starting.I wont throw money away as of yet besides just a cap rotor points and a set of plugs.And your right points worked well beyond the years of electronics,i should know i have one lol.Thanx for the post i appreciate it.Im just thankful it wasnt in the wiring somewhere.Im no electrical guro.Thanx again.CJ

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.