gm rocket block - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 09:19 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
yeah but whats the cost differnece between the standard cam, cam with bbc bearings or the 50mm roller bearings and also the standard bore lifter versus the over sized lifter.

lol im trying to research this stuff as u guys list it just been a lil busy with some stuff
I sure the BBC journal 50MM, 55MM journal cams are more money then the STD journal cam, The .904 are more money then the .841 lifter.

But when your done which is the better piece??

Standard size roller lifters seem to be .001 or smaller then an OEM lifter and putting a .841 lifter in a .844 lifter bore and .003 clearance ther is going to be problems down the road.

I machine and blue print a lot of blocks for other engine builders and the .842 lifters seem to be a think of the past and the same with std. jounal cams.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 11:05 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Need to add you have to have the tools and know how to correctly use them to check everything. Trust not one thing.We have on average around 120hrs in each race engine and we have been doing it for a very long time.Shop door is locked,no radio,total concentration on what is in front of you.Your eyes is the final decision.No do overs!!.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

well heres is the whole deal im looking to put together

as i said 434 ci
and its been suggested i go with the afr 235 or 245 cc heads instead of the 227's
solid roller cam
single plane efi intake
twin 66 to 70 mm turbos

ideally i need to make around 1,200 hp to be competive really not a hard feat with the layout of the combo i know i want

the big thing is it must remain streetable and i dont mean the once a month 30 mile trip. this thing has to live on 400 mile round trips to and from the racetrack

so my main concern is really going to be in the roller lifters and valve train, i dont need a lifter leaving me on the side of the highway on the way to or from the track and i know on a bunch of forums there alot of discusiion about some of the solid roller lifters failing from different companys

im also not dead set on the 434ci as if this class comes to the local track there maybe a displacement restrictions so im keeping an eye on what happens before i order any rotating assembly
Old 10-30-2012, 12:30 PM

I dont see why you cannot make 1500 hp with a twin turbo 434 with 245 heads. injestion and computer controlled ignition and race gas. streetable? lower the boost to 7 pounds while on the street.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
I dont see why you cannot make 1500 hp with a twin turbo 434 with 245 heads. injestion and computer controlled ignition and race gas. streetable? lower the boost to 7 pounds while on the street.
shouldnt be hard at all, what i was getting at is the roller lifters and related parts must be able to stand street use

we have a fellow board member thats making close to or just over 1000hp with a 406,afr heads,single plane and twin 66's with relativley low boost on pump gas. his is pretty much just a street car though he didnt build it to race in a class. so i have no doubts a 434 with the same heads will get me were i need to be
Old 10-30-2012, 12:43 PM

I use crower rollers on my street motor,low mileage but 7 years
Old 10-30-2012, 01:14 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
well heres is the whole deal im looking to put together

as i said 434 ci
and its been suggested i go with the afr 235 or 245 cc heads instead of the 227's
solid roller cam
single plane efi intake
twin 66 to 70 mm turbos

ideally i need to make around 1,200 hp to be competive really not a hard feat with the layout of the combo i know i want

the big thing is it must remain streetable and i dont mean the once a month 30 mile trip. this thing has to live on 400 mile round trips to and from the racetrack

so my main concern is really going to be in the roller lifters and valve train, i dont need a lifter leaving me on the side of the highway on the way to or from the track and i know on a bunch of forums there alot of discusiion about some of the solid roller lifters failing from different companys

im also not dead set on the 434ci as if this class comes to the local track there maybe a displacement restrictions so im keeping an eye on what happens before i order any rotating assembly

If your going to build a 434 use a tall deck Iron Eagle block. Using a 9.000 deck block you have to much pisotn hanging out of the bore at BDC which will be a problem down the road. A std. deck block to small of base circle cam rod ratio is not good, stroker pan which skips every other bolt hole which = leaks.

Now using a 3.875 X 4.185 which is a 427 is pretty common in our shops, Just saying.

Here is a quote from another shop on 4.0 strokes in 9.000 block.

Quote:
We don't offer engine options in the 4.00 inch stroke version, (434/440) as well as the 4.125x4.00=427 It is because we feel them to be very short lived compared to the 4.155x3.875=421 stroke used in this short block. You may hear of those running the 4.00 inch stroke in competitive racing events but engine reliability and longevity are not the major concern. When it come to street rod use, it is in our opinion a somewhat short lived build. The 3.875 stroke is not like this, when using a high performance block such as the one used in our engines. You will not hear of engine failures on the 3.875 stroke builds as compared to the 4.00 inch. It would not cost us one dollar more for the parts and a very slight amount of labor to move up to the deeper stroke engine, but we are fairly certain it's the wrong route to take.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:19 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
I use crower rollers on my street motor,low mileage but 7 years
I have not seen a set of Crower .904 lifters I was able to use because of out of roundness.

Here is a link to verify what I am talking about.

Roller lifter roundness - Yellow Bullet Forums

The best lifter on the market by far is the Jesels, There sizing is very good and there lifters are DLC coated as well I have seen about every lifter made and second best would be the Morels.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
how old are you oldbogie?
I'll be rolling to 74 in January. Thankfully, I'm still quite capable of getting out and getting under.

Bogie
Old 10-30-2012, 01:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS NE View Post
I have not seen a set of Crower .904 lifters I was able to use because of out of roundness.

Here is a link to verify what I am talking about.

Roller lifter roundness - Yellow Bullet Forums

The best lifter on the market by far is the Jesels, There sizing is very good and there lifters are DLC coated as well I have seen about every lifter made and second best would be the Morels.

thanks that seems to go with everything ive been reading latley on lifters.
any chance u know the cost on a set off hand?
Old 10-30-2012, 01:48 PM

OldB, my birthday is January 18 and my racing buddy in Calgary is Jan 16.good month I guess
Old 10-30-2012, 02:01 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
thanks that seems to go with everything ive been reading latley on lifters.
any chance u know the cost on a set off hand?
I don't ship out any blocks unless I have lifters in hand to measure them, ISKY is a good lifter but it takes 2 or 3 sets to make up one set. There are a lot of idiots out just buying lifters and dropping them into the bores with out measuring anything and wonder why they have problems.

Those liftres are around 1350 a set. If your worried about cost over quality you can probably find a cheap set on EBAY.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:09 PM

Last photo:

We went through lifter bore issues with the 565 and had two trusted machine shops that failed to get it right.It was after that we fixed the problem ourselfs.Then knowing that,in building the 632 the Jesel's where the lifter of choice.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:49 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
We went through lifter bore issues with the 565 and had two trusted machine shops that failed to get it right.It was after that we fixed the problem ourselfs.Then knowing that,in building the 632 the Jesel's where the lifter of choice.
Not to many shops have the correct equipment for measuring lifter bores and then they don't have the correct tools to hone the lifter bores.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:24 AM

Last photo:

Northeast huh.Want to tell us what city??. Maybe change your signature.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.