Hot Rod Forum banner

GM rotors with Ford bolt pattern

14K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  el pollo 
#1 ·
I got a axle from a 50 chevy p/u with a disc brake conversion to use on my 37 chevy p/u,it looks to have 11 inch GM rotors and GM calipers. Since I am putting a 8 inch Ford rear in I want Ford bolt pattern up front so I can switch wheles with 3 other Ford products I have,it looks like the rotors can not be redrilled due to the way they are made so are there anyone making GM rotors with a Ford bolt pattern or a Ford or Chrysler rotor that will bolt in place of the GM rotors. Jeff

#4 ·
I know that the big chevy 5 on 5" pattern will fit the bigger Ford/Lincolns. A friend had lincoln rims on his '83 Chevy Caprice wagon... I have '72 Riviera rotors (same as 73+ 1/2 ton trucks btw) and they are the 5" pattern. I was able to get conversion axles for my '66 C10 to convert to 5 on 5" pattern which is cheaper than buying the 6 lug rotors in the long run.

#5 ·
66chevystepside said:
I know that the big chevy 5 on 5" pattern will fit the bigger Ford/Lincolns. A friend had lincoln rims on his '83 Chevy Caprice wagon... I have '72 Riviera rotors (same as 73+ 1/2 ton trucks btw) and they are the 5" pattern. I was able to get conversion axles for my '66 C10 to convert to 5 on 5" pattern which is cheaper than buying the 6 lug rotors in the long run.
GM uses a 5-127 (5-5") bolt pattern on intermediates and all 1/2 ton five lug trucks, while Ford used 5-5.5" on some intermediates and 1/2 ton trucks. Most of their cars that didn't have the 5-5.5" pattern had the 5-114.3 (5-4.5") bolt pattern.

Some Caprices also had the 5-115 bolt pattern if they didn't come equipped with the police package. If your friend has Lincoln rims on his Caprice, he is running the risk of breaking the studs, as there is just enough difference to bend them inwards (5-114.3mm versus a 5-115mm pattern). It was popular in the 80s and 90s for aftermarket wheel manufacturers to sell a 5-114.3 rim on a GM application. They didn't see the big difference, as it was common to have rims drilled for BMWs to go onto GM F-cars and S-series trucks (5-120 versus 5-120.65).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.