Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - GM saginaw pump to Ford Ranger R&P
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryhussey View Post
Hey guys, I just finished my chevy colorado project I have been working on for 6 years now. I did a custom mustang 2 front suspension on it, with air ride. I am using a gm saginaw power steering pump, with a ford ranger rack and pinion. I am using it because of how narrow the rack is. Anyways I went through the proper bleeding procedures with the rack and pinion. With the front of the truck in the air, the power steering works well. When you drop it down on the front wheels, it feels more like a manual rack, as you have to muscle the wheel at low speeds to turn. I know on the mustang racks you actually have to run a inline pressure reducer because the saginaw pump outputs too much pressure for the ford rack. It is like I am having the opposite effect where mine doesnt have enough pressure, or the check valves are working against each other. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? Should I be running a different steering pump than I have? any advice would be greatly appreciated

cory
What you said here from your 1st post was what I was going from. Had this happen to me (Corvette pump with T-Bird rack). Steered fine while in the air with no load, but once on the ground with full weight, no power assist. Removed the pump for inspection and found the relief valve jammed up inside the bore which causes a huge internal "leak" and no assist.

Russ