Hot Rod Forum banner

GM saginaw pump to Ford Ranger R&P

7K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  coryhussey 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just finished my chevy colorado project I have been working on for 6 years now. I did a custom mustang 2 front suspension on it, with air ride. I am using a gm saginaw power steering pump, with a ford ranger rack and pinion. I am using it because of how narrow the rack is. Anyways I went through the proper bleeding procedures with the rack and pinion. With the front of the truck in the air, the power steering works well. When you drop it down on the front wheels, it feels more like a manual rack, as you have to muscle the wheel at low speeds to turn. I know on the mustang racks you actually have to run a inline pressure reducer because the saginaw pump outputs too much pressure for the ford rack. It is like I am having the opposite effect where mine doesnt have enough pressure, or the check valves are working against each other. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? Should I be running a different steering pump than I have? any advice would be greatly appreciated

cory

#4 ·
the gm saginaw pump is a brand new tuff stuff power steering pump. I do not see the check valve being stuck at all. The steering gets tougher once the truck is running. Its almost like their is a fluid lock in between the pump and rack. Im just not sure where to start though

#5 ·
Hey guys, I just finished my chevy colorado project I have been working on for 6 years now. I did a custom mustang 2 front suspension on it, with air ride. I am using a gm saginaw power steering pump, with a ford ranger rack and pinion. I am using it because of how narrow the rack is. Anyways I went through the proper bleeding procedures with the rack and pinion. With the front of the truck in the air, the power steering works well. When you drop it down on the front wheels, it feels more like a manual rack, as you have to muscle the wheel at low speeds to turn. I know on the mustang racks you actually have to run a inline pressure reducer because the saginaw pump outputs too much pressure for the ford rack. It is like I am having the opposite effect where mine doesnt have enough pressure, or the check valves are working against each other. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? Should I be running a different steering pump than I have? any advice would be greatly appreciated

cory
What you said here from your 1st post was what I was going from. Had this happen to me (Corvette pump with T-Bird rack). Steered fine while in the air with no load, but once on the ground with full weight, no power assist. Removed the pump for inspection and found the relief valve jammed up inside the bore which causes a huge internal "leak" and no assist.

Russ

#7 ·
That's how the pump keeps from over-pressuring. There's a spring operated internal bypass valve that dumps excess (fluid) pressure back into the suction port. It's all done internally and not visible without removing (at least) the pump outlet fitting.

Russ

#8 ·
well i will give that a try tommorow, and see if i can figure out the problem. hopefully this works. Some people say it can take up to 45 minutes to bleed out a rack and pump, but I can clearly see I have no bubbles in my pump anymore. I can see the fluid moving around inside. thanks

cory

#9 ·
well i pulled the pump apart and see nothing unusual. I did notice from looking at a few exploded views of gm saginaw pumps, that my pump is missing a few parts that I noticed on some of the pictures. In the picture I am missing #5 and #6 out of the back of my pump. Just #23 and #24 are there. Not sure if that has anything to do with my problem

cory

Attachments

#11 ·
well i figured out my problem last night. I ended up getting another relief valve assembly from a different pump. When i went to install the assembly it wouldnt fit, pulled it out and to my surprise there was a relief valve assembly stuck in the pump, like mentioned beforehand. So i cleaned everything, put it back together, bled the air out that I could, and started the truck. Now for some reason I believe there is too much pressure, as the wheel jerks back and forth overwhelmingly, and you cannot even muscle it to keep it straight. Tried a few things, but nothing seemed to work. I think it is time for a pressure reducer. I hope it works enough and fixes my problem. Now i have the opposite effect where my steering is too touchy now, and scares the hell out of me.

#17 ·
well i still havent solved my issue yet. I put a adjustable pressure regulator on the pump from heidts, and i still have the jerky back and forth movement as mentioned before. Now it just does it alot less. I am thinking there is an air lock between the pressure relief valve in the pump, and the check valve in the steering rack. I am running out of ideas very quickly

#19 ·
yea i thought that was the case too, but i have properly bled the rack for over 30 min. back and forth to get all the air out. Still nothing has worked, im almost thinking that this ford ranger rack will not work for me. May have to get a custom one made from unisteer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.