GM saginaw pump to Ford Ranger R&P - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 01:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

GM saginaw pump to Ford Ranger R&P

Hey guys, I just finished my chevy colorado project I have been working on for 6 years now. I did a custom mustang 2 front suspension on it, with air ride. I am using a gm saginaw power steering pump, with a ford ranger rack and pinion. I am using it because of how narrow the rack is. Anyways I went through the proper bleeding procedures with the rack and pinion. With the front of the truck in the air, the power steering works well. When you drop it down on the front wheels, it feels more like a manual rack, as you have to muscle the wheel at low speeds to turn. I know on the mustang racks you actually have to run a inline pressure reducer because the saginaw pump outputs too much pressure for the ford rack. It is like I am having the opposite effect where mine doesnt have enough pressure, or the check valves are working against each other. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? Should I be running a different steering pump than I have? any advice would be greatly appreciated

cory

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 06:41 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

pressure req's

I have read here on HR that some of the T birds Use higher pressure Racks that the M II, they look the same from the outside, Maybe the Ranger might also be a high pressure system, ? ? You might ask on one of the Ford Ranger forums
Old 09-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

What's the history on the pump? Sounds like the relief valve is stuck open, bypassing fluid internally without feeding the rack.

Russ
Old 09-20-2012, 03:34 PM

Last photo:

the gm saginaw pump is a brand new tuff stuff power steering pump. I do not see the check valve being stuck at all. The steering gets tougher once the truck is running. Its almost like their is a fluid lock in between the pump and rack. Im just not sure where to start though
Old 09-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryhussey View Post
Hey guys, I just finished my chevy colorado project I have been working on for 6 years now. I did a custom mustang 2 front suspension on it, with air ride. I am using a gm saginaw power steering pump, with a ford ranger rack and pinion. I am using it because of how narrow the rack is. Anyways I went through the proper bleeding procedures with the rack and pinion. With the front of the truck in the air, the power steering works well. When you drop it down on the front wheels, it feels more like a manual rack, as you have to muscle the wheel at low speeds to turn. I know on the mustang racks you actually have to run a inline pressure reducer because the saginaw pump outputs too much pressure for the ford rack. It is like I am having the opposite effect where mine doesnt have enough pressure, or the check valves are working against each other. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? Should I be running a different steering pump than I have? any advice would be greatly appreciated

cory
What you said here from your 1st post was what I was going from. Had this happen to me (Corvette pump with T-Bird rack). Steered fine while in the air with no load, but once on the ground with full weight, no power assist. Removed the pump for inspection and found the relief valve jammed up inside the bore which causes a huge internal "leak" and no assist.

Russ
Old 09-21-2012, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

That does sound like the problem I am having. How so was the pump leaking internally. Was the fluid going somewhere? Thanks for all the help

Cory
Old 09-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last photo:

Quote:
That does sound like the problem I am having. How so was the pump leaking internally. Was the fluid going somewhere? Thanks for all the help

Cory
That's how the pump keeps from over-pressuring. There's a spring operated internal bypass valve that dumps excess (fluid) pressure back into the suction port. It's all done internally and not visible without removing (at least) the pump outlet fitting.

Russ
Old 09-22-2012, 04:42 PM

Last photo:

well i will give that a try tommorow, and see if i can figure out the problem. hopefully this works. Some people say it can take up to 45 minutes to bleed out a rack and pump, but I can clearly see I have no bubbles in my pump anymore. I can see the fluid moving around inside. thanks

cory
Old 09-24-2012, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

well i pulled the pump apart and see nothing unusual. I did notice from looking at a few exploded views of gm saginaw pumps, that my pump is missing a few parts that I noticed on some of the pictures. In the picture I am missing #5 and #6 out of the back of my pump. Just #23 and #24 are there. Not sure if that has anything to do with my problem

cory
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P-PumpFlowCntrlValve.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	68109  
Old 09-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last photo:

Quote:
well i pulled the pump apart and see nothing unusual. I did notice from looking at a few exploded views of gm saginaw pumps, that my pump is missing a few parts that I noticed on some of the pictures. In the picture I am missing #5 and #6 out of the back of my pump. Just #23 and #24 are there. Not sure if that has anything to do with my problem

cory
Those parts, 5 & 6, are the relief valve assembly. Without those you will build zero pressure, hence your problem. Return the pump for a replacement.

Russ
Old 09-26-2012, 04:32 PM

Last photo:

well i figured out my problem last night. I ended up getting another relief valve assembly from a different pump. When i went to install the assembly it wouldnt fit, pulled it out and to my surprise there was a relief valve assembly stuck in the pump, like mentioned beforehand. So i cleaned everything, put it back together, bled the air out that I could, and started the truck. Now for some reason I believe there is too much pressure, as the wheel jerks back and forth overwhelmingly, and you cannot even muscle it to keep it straight. Tried a few things, but nothing seemed to work. I think it is time for a pressure reducer. I hope it works enough and fixes my problem. Now i have the opposite effect where my steering is too touchy now, and scares the hell out of me.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

The lines to the rack are hooked up backwards. Reverse the lines and all will be well.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

Is this 100% right? Can anyone else chime in on it. From what I have researched the port with the pressure valve in it is the inlet port, and the port with no valve is the return line back to the pump. Is this correct
Old 09-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I believe that the jerking is a symptom of air in the rack.

Try forcing the steering wheel to the stops on both sides.
Try loosening the fittings on the rack, allowing the air to bleed.

Does the fluid appear foamy / bubbly inside the pump? Is it noisey?

Bleeding a Power Steering Rack
Old 09-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Is this 100% right? Can anyone else chime in on it. From what I have researched the port with the pressure valve in it is the inlet port, and the port with no valve is the return line back to the pump. Is this correct
The easy way to tell which hose is which is that the one that SCEWS into the pump is the pressure hose.

The hose that CLAMPS onto the reservoir is the return huse.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.