GM steering column repair - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2003, 06:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Post GM steering column repair

The GM tilt steering column is very popular in street rods, but the junk yard units we all know and love invariably have wobbly tilt units. I made my own tools to tighten them up but for the novice who is timid about digging in, here is a source fo tools and instructions for doing the job yourself. As with anything in rodding, your first time may seem daunting but once you successfully complete the job, you will have a new skill and saved a boat load of $$.

http://www.corvettefaq.com/A-Car.asp

[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2003, 06:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

why couldnt you have done this a cuple months ago, would have saved me alot of time and a dash top
Old 01-25-2003, 06:57 AM

Hey Willys36,
Old 01-25-2003, 07:06 AM

Willys36,

Hit the wrong button on 1st post. I don't know what inspired you to do the GM column post but I sure needed the info. I did a post about a week ago asking for info. This info is great. My column is good except for a rattle inside. From the looks of the IPB, the rattle might be coming from the switch lock mechanism, you had any experience with that or have any ideas. Thanks!!
Old 01-25-2003, 09:05 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I deciced to post it in view of the continued interest in the topic. sorry I posted too late for you Captn. Time is tight!

Best thing is to tear into it and see what the problem is. Usually find at least one plastic part that is broken in the old units. Also, on the tilt columns, the tilt joint bolts are invariably loose. They are a bear to get to, but it's worth the effort. This is one part on a car I can't imagine how the manufacturer could afford to assemble. Even with custom assembly jigs it has to be a very time con$uming job.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:16 PM

OH! That's encouraring! Know you got me nervous.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:21 PM

Made me so nervous I spelled encouraging wrong. That project will have to wait for a day or two, right now I'm trying figure out how they put a headliner in a 48 chev so I can run new wires for the "dome" light. One of my wife's priorities.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

48, don't get scared off. As with anything on a car, just follow the directions. Main problem is the space inside a column isn't accomdating to the typical sized human hand and there are a lot of little parts to maneuver!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:41 AM

Bad link

Do you have an updated link for this problem?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:50 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

you should really stat a new thread regarding this instead of bring up an extremely old outdated thread -even though this question is asked often- and is a common problem.
a forum search would be what to do, and then if no luck finding out what you need to know, then making a new thread would be the next thing to do,
just trying to help is all

see if you can view these pics of mine they are exploded view of general GM columns:
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21795154

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21795154

its not a hard problem to fix but you need a few different tools such as lock plate compressor and steering wheel/pulley puller and three bolts 5/16" diameter and around 2 3/4" length or so

after you have torn apart and fixed so many columns they are pretty easy i can tear them down to the tilt in about 15 minutes or so the really only hardest part of it all for me is the frekaing hog ring around the steering shaft that retains the locking plate right after the steering wheel is removed, need small hook/pick to get it out and slide it up and onto the tool

there are four tilt screws they come loose very often in all the gm columns regardless of the year make and model, and without pulling the tilt pins you can only get three of them tightened up
the best way is to locktite the threads of them all but its tricky if you dont remove the tilt pins and you will have to use a magnet or something to fish them out and then back down into the mechanism

if younever taken a gm column apart before then you just have to take your time and remember everything and keep parts in order and you will learn and then after a few columns you will know them pretty well.

the only other tricky thing sometimes is the turn signal/multi-function switch lever extension metal piece that is held to the turn signal switch assembly by one phillips head screw, you have to angle it into the lever assembly into the groove the round peg on the end of it sits in on the lever assembly. and then put it back on the groove on the switch assemblywhere the phillips screw holds it

the turn signal switch assembly you remove the three screws for it and poull the assembly up and the wires for it just enough up the column to loop the switch assembly up over the top end of the column shaft and then just leave it hang up there like that

i could get some pics of what i mean, as i have several column parts laying around from so many ive parted, so i could show you if you need just let me know and i could do that if you get confused etc.

good luck
Old 04-15-2009, 05:56 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate the info. I did finish this repair on a 91 S10 Blazer last night. I found other info on this site that helped tremendously. I don't know how we ever survived without the Internet in the past. Of course everything was much simpler then.
I took me 2 nights after work to do this job.. I had to do it in a friendly small retailers parking lot, with no light. The first night I was able to dis-assemble and then tighten the bolts, only one with locktite though. Too dark and a bad flashlight. The next night able to re-assemble and drive away.

Once again thanks for the help and the great site.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:26 AM

Just loved the site.
Really cool and helpful sharing.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.