GM steering column tilt/wobble repair HELP (pics inside) - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2004, 10:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well I finally have it all back together. I was never able to get the column completely apart nor was I able to get any loc-tite around any of the bolts. So I got some thin-wall deep sockets like Troy said and I able to get to 3 of the 4 bolts so I tightened and cranked them down. I figure if they stay tight for atleast 20K miles then its worth it. Just thought I would give you update.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2004, 11:12 AM

Last journal entry: "Z" construction
Last photo:

I think I'm puttin' a Quick Release Hub' in the "Z" to eliminate the problem.

Good to here you got it back on the raod.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 PM

The cheapest and Easiest fix for broken steering columns

A lot easier fix:
Go to your local junk yard and pull and entire steering column and replace it..thats what I always do..it is much, much, easier (and usually faster..how long have you been working on this?)
than repairing the one you have.
It should not be very hard to find one for a 88 Silverado..if there is a junk yard near you that will let you pull your own part... it woud be a LOT CHEAPER ..like . here in my home town..about $50 at
Berry's Pull-A-PART
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroguy1969
Hello,

I have taken up the task of trying to fix the wobble/slop in the column of my '88 Chevy Silverado. The pics pretty much show where I am stuck. I have managed to get the pivot pins out. On the websites that show how to do this it says to pull the tilt lever and tilt it up as far as it will go.

I have been using the following sites since they seem to be the most comprehensive on this topic. http://home.t-online.de/home/O_Scholz/steering.html and
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/susp..._steering.html " 15. Tilt column housing up and then to the right. What you are trying to do by rotating to the right is to get the rod that come up from the ignition switch (located on the side of the column) to the actuator rack that move back and forth when the key is turned."

I can not get my column to tilt to the the right at all. I have tried and tried and it just feels like something else is holding it. Also, some things I do not understand. Do i need to take out the 4 gold bolts under the column? Do I need to take the support bracket off? Am I supposed to keep pulling back on the tilt lever while trying to turn the tilt unit to the right? Am I supposed to leave my ignition key tumbler in the column? It is out right now. Te two sites take different approaches on this.

Any help that any one can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 03-05-2009, 12:37 AM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

This thread is from 2004. I sure hope he has fixed it by now.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.