Hot Rod Forum banner

GM steering column won't lock!!

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  APalusky 
#1 · (Edited)
I was working on my steering column. It is a 79 Pontiac Grand Prix tilt. I have it out of the car, because I pout a new floor in my 37 Ford where this is the column for it. I had it on it's steering wheel. I had to remove that little clip at the tip in order to get a Mullins mount to fit. I wanted to lock the housing after getting the mount to fit, and it won't lock.. The housing spins in a circle, but it will not lock. I can't get the clip to pop back into those slots either.. Any idea on how I can fix this?? Thanks.. Al

#6 ·
There is a lever just up from the bottom. I had to cut that lever off. When I was trying to put the mount on the cut off lever moved. That droped the works just a tad so that the clip would not fit back in the slots. I just moved it back over, and lifted the column tube over the lever. Everything fell back into place. The key turns,locks, and I am able to lock the steering column again..

#7 ·
APalusky said:
There is a lever just up from the bottom. I had to cut that lever off. When I was trying to put the mount on the cut off lever moved. That droped the works just a tad so that the clip would not fit back in the slots. I just moved it back over, and lifted the column tube over the lever. Everything fell back into place. The key turns,locks, and I am able to lock the steering column again..
The lever is for the backdrive linkage from the trans to the steering column. That allows the trans to lock in park when the key is removed. The system is designed so you cannot lock the steering column unless the trans is in park. With the collar rotated from the park position, the linkage inside the column did not line up.

#9 ·
Will it make that much of a difference that I cut it off?? I could leave it where I have it now and put a couple of tack welds to hold it there. With all of the neutral safety switches in there.. It has to be in park or neutral to start it now..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.