Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Gm Steering Wheel Sticky
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 08:39 AM

Last journal entry: Made some progress
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
I've always thought it was oils out of a person's hand that were absorbed over years of use then later got released with some soaking in the sun. Maybe I'm wrong but I haven't seen any other plastics do this-most plastics usually dry up not expell oily gunk like on the steering wheels. Also not all the sport wheels do this-I've seen many that have weathered just fine with no residue. I have two stored in my basement right now- one is fine and the other one has the sticky gunk described. I agree a thorough understanding of what the stuff is would steer us in the right direction for removing it.
This is what a guy from the gm body shop told me and I read it somewhere in a magazine but cant find the article and dont remember what they used to clean the plastic ones, but i remember that they went to a leather cleaner they got from a leather saddle shop, dont know the name of the product they used just know it was used for cleaning leather horse saddles.