GM T-350 auto trans. locked up? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2014, 02:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

GM T-350 auto trans. locked up?

I have a LOKAR floor shift and the four button head 5/16 x 3/8 screws fell out. (the four that are located within the curved slot). This of course through alignment of the gear selector off. I purchased four more from Lokar along with the safety plug to set the safety switch in the proper position. I placed the shifter in park and started the car. Now the problem... the car wants to move foreword in any position I place the shifter in (except park). I cannot find the neutral position and reverse. In addition, if I push the car back and forth the car rolls very easy as if the car is in neutral regardless what position I place the selector in. (it's a 32 roadster) except in park. I have to apply the brakes hard when running in order to keep the car from moving foreword.
I'm only guessing that somehow the transmission is locked in some gear but this makes no sense the car will stand still in the park position. I should add that when I try different gears the car starts to run rough and acts like it wants to die. I did not touch or remove the side linkage at any time. The 350 trans. only has on shift lever on the side so I can't understand how the transmission could have crossed with another gear like the older ford transmissions that had two side levers that you could get jammed. I have tried loosening the four button heads and changing the position of the "banana bracket" but this does not change anything..... any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 02:55 PM

Last journal entry: The Cheetah
Last photo:

Does the car free rev in park...or does it feel like there is a drag on it? If you feel like the motor is not free revving like it should in park,I'm thinking either your manual valve became disconnected from the ''S'' clip inside the trans,which,if the valve is sitting in the 'D' area, is keeping the forward clutches on all the time,or the forward clutches are fried and not releasing....A different rod in the trans activates park,thats why its not moving in park,but the motor, in park, will still feel like there is a load on it when you give it a little gas ......If the motor feels normal in park,Being its a 32 ford roadster,the external linkage should be accessable without getting under the car. My next step would be to dis-connect the Lokar shifter arm from the trans,get the rear wheels up on jack stands, get someone else in the car,start it up with their foot on the brake while you manually by hand work the linkage thru the gears and see what happens.If it works,look at the shifter,if it does the same thing,pull the pan.

Last edited by rick 427; 03-20-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

TH400 lock up

I disconnected the linkage entirely. I then placed the trans. side shifting lever all the way back towards the back (Park). I wired my safety switch, which I had removed from the Lokar shifter. I pushed in the ball plunger in the safety switch and started the car. The car started immediately to go foreword. I then manually shifted the transmission through all the gears repeating the same procedure as I did at the beginning. The car tried to move foreword in all of the transmission's shift locations... All this removed the Lokar as the possible problem... I have heard/read that it could possibly be something called an "S" Hook. Whatever that is?... What is your thoughts on what I have outlined? Could this be the problem? Maybe something else? I have smelled the fluid and it is nice and red and does not smell burnt. The car drove like it always has when I last drove it home, parked it in my garage and shut it off.? Could the "S" Hook come off on my way home and sense I was only traveling foreword I would not have noticed it. I rolled into my garage, placed the shifter in what I thought at the time (remember at this same time I noticed the Lokar shifter had come loose from the Banana bracket) was park and just shut it off... If it is the "S" Hook where would I locate it? what does it look like?.. Does anyone have a picture which would show me where the is located?.. I hope that is all it is. I understand that all you have to do to fix it is drop the pan and stick it back into it's hole? (maybe at this point there is room on the "S HOOK" to maybe drill a small hole in the end, place a cotter pin in it to keep it from falling out again?... Thank for your first response. I guess I should have disconnected the linkage prior to my asking my question.......... an additional question.... If it is the "S Hook" would you still feel the detent in the trans. when shifting manually? I do feel each "detent" while shifting.

Last edited by 32 Ford HyBoy; 03-21-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Added additional info.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:19 PM

Last photo:

''I disconnected the linkage entirely. I then placed the trans. side shifting lever all the way back towards the back (Park).''........ Yes,that would be ''park'' if the Lokar shift arm points ''up'' when it's on the trans. If it was pointing down,you would be in low gear if you moved the lever all the way towards the back.Just making sure thats the right way you have it..It's throwing me off a bit when in your 1st post you said it didn't go forward in park,and now you're saying that it does...With that said,I'M GOING TO ASSUME that you allready disconnected the Lokar rod,and tried what I suggested by moving the trans arm by hand with someone else in the car holding the brake while the wheels were off the ground and the motor running to see if it acts the same way...If so,before this goes any further,I suggest you go ahead and pull the pan,and the filter off.To get a better view of the linkage,you could also remove the one VB bolt that the spring arm is attached to. Look at,and work, the linkage. Its not a complicated set-up.One end of the ''S'' clip goes in the manual valve,and the other into the rooster comb. I hope you will see the problem is that the S clip became detached,simple fix compared to other alternatives concerning this problem....I don't post pics,but others who read this do,and someone will step up i'm sure when you get back to us and post what you found after the pan is down. If the S clip came out,we will go from there.....And NO,if the 'S' hook came out,you just can't ''stick it back in the hole'. There is a reason it came out,if indeed it did.

Last edited by rick 427; 03-21-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

Again, thanks again Rick. My reference in my first post was while the Lokar shifter was still hooked up. I'm sorry for the confusion... Yes, the shift lever was at 12 o'clock (park). From here I will drop the pan and take a look see. I agree, if the S hook did come off there must have been a reason? I will keep you informed as to what I find. Thanks again. I did find a picture of another guy's S hook doing the same thing.

TH350 in my Project Truck Fubar (see pics)? - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network
Old 03-21-2014, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

Those are good pics.At least now you will have a better idea of what you're looking for.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:38 PM

Last photo:

Thanks again Rick. I agree that those pictures are really great. They show me (and possibly others who look at this post) exactly what it looks like and how to repair it. I am still tempted to drill a small hole across each end and put a cotter key or one of those small clips. It looks like in the pictures that the cotter key would not be in the way of anything and it would keep it from dropping out again. I can't see what in the world would have caused it to drop out? Thanks again and I find the problem is something else I'll let you know.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:15 PM

Last photo:

No cotter pins are nessessary for 2 reasons...1]that ''S'' clip should never come out, [with the slight possibility that the nut loosened up over time], unless someone was in the trans before and either didn't tighten the rooster comb to manual linkage shaft nut properly,or bent the rooster comb when tightening the nut...and 2]That it would be nearly impossible to drill thru that small ''S'' clip to put a cotter pin in it. Play the lottery instead,your chances of sucess would be better....Plus the fact that the ''S'' clip has to slide on it's surfaces,as it's in different positions between low and park,hard to explain,but less of the ''S''clip protrudes thru the rooster comb in low,compared to more of it protruding thru in park.It doesn't move much,but it has to float...The goal here is to correct the problem why the ''S'' clip came out,if it actually did,button it up,and forget about it.No need to try re-inventing the wheel on this one.

Last edited by rick 427; 03-22-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:20 PM

Last photo:

Thanks again Rick for the heads up. Knowing you know far more about this subject than I do I'll follow your instructions.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

S Hook the problem

Rick, I dropped the pan today. The S hook was just hanging free. The 11/16" nut on the end of the shaft that holds the nut and the rooster comb on was loose because of this. In addition the small roller on the end of the spring arm had slid off to the side. I tried getting a 11/16" open end on the nut but the opening is too narrow. I guess I will have to grind down the side of a wrench until it fits?... Also I noticed that there is no lock washer behind the nut. There is also no room for one. What will keep the nut from just loosening up again? The end shaft play is approx. 1/8" in and out. Is this standard? The good news was there was absolutely no filings, dust or anything in the bottom of the pan. Also, I started to take the pan bolts out and they were not much tighter than finger tight and I had no leaks! Thanks for all your ideas.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:34 PM

Last photo:

OK..Thats great news...Now if you want to make that loose nut a bit more accessable where you don't have to grind on a wrench....With the ''S'' clip still hanging in the manual valve,You take the spring arm w/roller off thats attached to the VB first.Next grab a screwdriver and pop off the spring clip thats on the manual linkage shaft.You can now grab your external Lokar arm and slide the manual linkage shaft out of the trans a bit to give you better access to the nut.Put a pair of visegrips on the Lokar arm and apply counter pressure on it as you are tightening the nut.You DON'T want to jam anything in the rooster comb to stop it from moving while you are tightening the nut.Thats how they bend.When the nut is tight,put the ''S'' clip in place and slide the linkage back into the trans and guide the ''S''clip back into the rooster comb,and double check the other end is still in the manual valve.Set the spring clip back on the manual shaft and put an open end 3/4 wrench over it and pop it back on the shaft.Work the linkage back and forth before you put the VB spring and roller back on,to make sure everything's ok.Bolt the VB spring and roller on [open end wrench snug or 100-125 INCH lbs.] and button the rest of it up....Sounds like a lot of work but its pretty simple...And as long as everything is working free,it won't loosen up again.And yes,that 1/8th inch play in the shaft is normal.

Last edited by rick 427; 03-24-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:30 PM

Last photo:

I should add,Alltho you prob noticed,is to make sure the rooster comb is indexed on the manual linkage shaft slots[just like your Lokar arm is attached externally in the slots] before you tighten the nut.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

All fixed.

Rick, everything buttoned back up and works great! Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:24 AM

Last photo:

Good to hear!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.