GM tbi votec intake - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 08:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

GM tbi votec intake

I am trying to put a GM vortec TBI intake on a set of 60979 Edelbrock vortec heads. My problem is the intake has 3/8 inch bolt holes. the heads have 5/16 holes? is this allright? the intake part no. is 12496821 preformance intake

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 02:19 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowhirod View Post
I am trying to put a GM vortec TBI intake on a set of 60979 Edelbrock vortec heads. My problem is the intake has 3/8 inch bolt holes. the heads have 5/16 holes? is this allright? the intake part no. is 12496821 preformance intake
It's fine. You see this a lot- it's so the intake can be positioned correctly over the ports in the heads- which can vary due to manufacturing tolerances.

Use sealer on the holes in the head that enter the lifter valley and antiseize on the rest. I recommend using small diameter flat washers (so the washers clear the casting and don't get cocked) under the intake bolt heads.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowhirod View Post
Use a hardended washer between the bolt head and the intake. The larger hole in the intake is to accommodate the various assembled part dimensions resulting from decking the block and/or milling the head. The hardened washers are available at hot rod shops and speciality fastener stores. These provide enough strength to bridge the gaps between bolt and hole without bending and their stable surface that doesn't damage the soft aluminum of the manifold by allowing the bolt head to distort the washer to where it crushes into the soft aluminum.

My preference when bolting into aluminum is to either use stainless steel or plain uncoated steel with an anti-seize lubricant or a teflon based sealer such as plain old fashion plumbers Teflon sealer from the local hardware store. Be very careful of any thread lubricant or sealer on blind threaded holes as any uncompressible compound caught between the bolt end and the bottom of the hole will crack or blow out the casting. Galvanize and zink coatings are very chemically reactive and are likely to corrode the aluminum threads if any moisture gets in there which is why I don't use coated or plated harware in aluminum except for chrome plate which isn't innocent either but isn't as chemically aggressive as zinc.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.