Hot Rod Forum banner

GMPP 350 HO Crate Engine

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  EricTopless68 Camaro 
#1 ·
Thinking about going with the GMPP 350 HO crate engine for my 69 Camaro. Anybody out there running this engine and have an opinion on it? For $2280 for the long block version, I don't think I can build a 330 HP/385 FT LB engine on my own. I just want to know if it is a quality, trouble free crate motor.

Just so you know what I am shooting for, my 68 has a rebuilt 327 with an Edelbrock Performer intake and cam, small valve (1.76/1.5 or so) small chamber heads, headers, and an HEI, backed by a TH350 and 12-inch low stall (1800-2200) converter. I am fairly pleased with the way that combo performs, even with 2.73 rear gears.

The 69 will likely get the same tranny and converter, and maybe a little more gear (3.08 or 3.23, maybe 3.42). No headers this time, just stock manifolds cleaned up a little inside (don't like the sound combo of headers with a stock style dual exhaust/transverse muffler on the 68). Probably a Performer Vortec intake and my Holley 4175 spreadbore (650 CFM) off the 68, and an HEI or PerTronix dist.

I would put the center bolt to outer bolt adapters on so I can put old style valve covers on, and paint it all Chevy orange.

I assume for the price that there must be a lot of these 350 HO engines out there, and I was just hoping to hear from someone on it. It has a little more cam than what I have now (.435/.460 with durations of 212 and 222 degrees, vs. .420/.442 with 204 and 214 in the 68). The 68 has just a little lope, I assume the 350 HO has just a little more?

Sorry for the long post, but I am just trying to really plan for the 69, instead of winging it like I did for the 68.

Thanks in advance!
Eric

See less See more
#2 ·
my opinion

for 2200 i would think you would be able to talk to a performance builder and get an engine built exacly for your aplication for less. we have short blocks built for circle track racing for a grand and they are a damn good engine and do take quit a beating. you already have an hei so why use a pooptronix?? if you want to get a good ignition have your dist cleaned and recurved professionally fo prolly the same price.
Just my thoughts
Jesse

#3 ·
Thanks Jesse! The HEI is on the 68, so I'd have to get another. The only reason I was considering the Pert unit was to appear "stock". I'm thinking I might go "old school" with this thing, even to the point of putting "307" emblems on the fender. Wait, now I'm talking crazy...

I'll probably just get another HEI and beat on the 69s firewall to clear it.

Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.