Hot Rod Forum banner

GMPP Hot Cam

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  twistedaxle 
#1 ·
Why does the Chevy hot cam kit cost 700 bucks?

#5 ·
lmsport said:
Thats what people are willing to pay for fully engineered components.
Cam 300
rockers 350
springs 80
retainers 50
locks
shims
What do you believe this means, "fully engineered components?" And why would only GM have them? Aftermarket companies hire people with graduate engineering degrees. Aren't their products "fully engineered?" Or only 3/4 engineered? Maybe less?

#6 ·
Because GM engineers parts that will theoretically last 100K miles and not void warranties. My guess is the same practices also hold true when they design GM Performance Parts.

You don't like the price, piecemeal something together with similar specs using aftermarket manufacturers. Either that or shop for used or a deal on E-bay. Asking that is like asking why milk is $1.99 gallon....it just is. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to pay $700 if you don't want to, right. Everybody perceives value differently.

#7 ·
cool rockin daddy said:
Because GM engineers parts that will theoretically last 100K miles and not void warranties. My guess is the same practices also hold true when they design GM Performance Parts.

You don't like the price, piecemeal something together with similar specs using aftermarket manufacturers. Either that or shop for used or a deal on E-bay. Asking that is like asking why milk is $1.99 gallon....it just is. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to pay $700 if you don't want to, right. Everybody perceives value differently.
Can we bury the hatchet?

You and your mini-me did school me, in a way, on that thread about putting fuelie heads on a '71 GMC. Previous to that, I was operating under the illusion we shared the English language. Now, not so much.

So I ask, what do you mean by the words you are saying.

#8 ·
In for a penny, in for a pound. I thought, cool rockin' daddy, I was on the ignore list. But since I'm apparently not, I'll address this:

cool rockin daddy said:
I got my butt handed to me by guessing. I thought I understood what people were saying. Then I found out I was an idiot for imagining such.

So now I ask. Is a GM part that's warranted for 100K miles more "fully engineered" than a part that no one expects to last more than a race weekend?

Well, GMPP is by definition an aftermarket manufacturer. Otherwise we wouldn't be talking about the Hot Cam kit.

It seems to me, and I'm secure in the knowledge you'll tell me I'm wrong, that GM should be held to the same standard as everyone else. Either your car is faster, or it isn't.

I don't know where you get the idea about me not liking prices. I'll take the opportunity to mention wine is the more apt comparison. Some wines are worth $89 a bottle, others $3, and some you can't give away. It isn't the price so much I complain about, but whether it's worth the money.

For the record, if anyone's keeping records, my '71 ElCo has AFR 195 Eliminator heads bolted to it. Me and my pathetic little die grinder were afraid to approach those heads. Now, the World Products S/R Torquers were a different cat ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.