GM's new engine! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 AM
bigdog7373's Avatar
Of course it's fast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 2,673
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 13
Thanked 49 Times in 49 Posts
GM's new engine!

Well here's the replacement for the LS series engines! I'm not sure why they called it the LT series again, but it is what it is.
Read about it here: Breaking News: Chevy Gen V Small-block Reveal - CorvetteOnline


    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2012, 04:34 PM
454 Rattler's Avatar
NEVER SATISFIED !!
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Eagle River WI.
Age: 70
Posts: 865
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 33 Times in 32 Posts
Any comments ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Banned User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N.E.
Posts: 385
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i was just thinking about this today----that the original small block went 42 years before being "succeeded" by the LS engine. And the Ls engine "only" lasted 15 years before getting replaced. Which indicates that is gen 5 engine must be REALLY GOOD on top of the already phenomenal LS engine?!?

a) Will gm continue to produce the LS engine---as they do the original small block? Will it continue to be installed in production vehicles--namely pickups?

b) It appears they are going back to using a mechanical fuel pump? Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Member
 

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 265
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by against all odds View Post
i was just thinking about this today----that the original small block went 42 years before being "succeeded" by the LS engine. And the Ls engine "only" lasted 15 years before getting replaced. Which indicates that is gen 5 engine must be REALLY GOOD on top of the already phenomenal LS engine?!?

a) Will gm continue to produce the LS engine---as they do the original small block? Will it continue to be installed in production vehicles--namely pickups?

b) It appears they are going back to using a mechanical fuel pump? Interesting.
I think in that 42 year run. they just didn't change the code everytime they changed one thing..
with todays computer indexing systems it's most likely easier to index parts this way..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Project89's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: utah
Posts: 936
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 12
Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
the enw engine should be really nice but i see a few problems, it has already been stated by gm engineers that the ecm running these engines will not be able to be cracked or tuned, and any tampering will cause them ecm to shut down and engine will not run.

if this is truley the case i do not seeing this being a popular engine until some companys come out with a standalone system to run the engine

also how much hp can this new cam driven fuel pump supply if it cant supply much more then stock well there goes the ability for engine mods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Banned User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N.E.
Posts: 385
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The other question besides how many lbs pressure can the pump provide is why go back to mechanical in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Member
 

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 265
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by against all odds View Post
The other question besides how many lbs pressure can the pump provide is why go back to mechanical in the first place?
lets see..
safety.. you don't have a fuel line going the lenth of the car with 60-80psi of fuel..
cheaper..
less of a drain on an already overtaxed 12-14 volt system
less of a delay on fuel pressure changes..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Member
 

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 265
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
the enw engine should be really nice but i see a few problems, it has already been stated by gm engineers that the ecm running these engines will not be able to be cracked or tuned, and any tampering will cause them ecm to shut down and engine will not run.

if this is truley the case i do not seeing this being a popular engine until some companys come out with a standalone system to run the engine

also how much hp can this new cam driven fuel pump supply if it cant supply much more then stock well there goes the ability for engine mods
it's not so much that the code will be hard to crack...
it'll be hard to crack and then return to stock tune after you blow it up and bring it back for warranty repairs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:51 PM
bigdog7373's Avatar
Of course it's fast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 2,673
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 13
Thanked 49 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by against all odds View Post
The other question besides how many lbs pressure can the pump provide is why go back to mechanical in the first place?
Because the direct injection requires very high pressures, which the mechanical pump i guess is better suited to provide. It still needs an electric low pressure pump though.

Just remeber that when the LS first came out everyone said the same thing about not being able to get into the ecm, now look at us.

I just hope they keep producing the LS engines. They are perfect for hotrodding since they are not too complicated. This new motor will make for some pretty interesting swaps though. I just wonder how the direct injection will respond to modifications. Also, I can't be the only one who hates drive-by-wire!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2012, 02:27 AM
Project89's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: utah
Posts: 936
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 12
Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Furgal View Post
it's not so much that the code will be hard to crack...
it'll be hard to crack and then return to stock tune after you blow it up and bring it back for warranty repairs..
the new ecms are aparently internet enabled and the ecm checks back to a gm database to check out the ecm. ill have to find the article

if this is the case then a complete reflash of the ecm with all new code would be needed to do anything with the ecm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2012, 02:35 AM
Member
 

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 265
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
the new ecms are aparently internet enabled and the ecm checks back to a gm database to check out the ecm. ill have to find the article

if this is the case then a complete reflash of the ecm with all new code would be needed to do anything with the ecm
or sign on the dotted line.. of the warranty waiver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2012, 09:04 PM
bigdog7373's Avatar
Of course it's fast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 2,673
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 13
Thanked 49 Times in 49 Posts
The name they gave it really bothers me! Now we have the LT-1, the LT1 and the LT1. Yet they are all completely different. Why gm? Whyyy!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2012, 09:56 PM
66GMC's Avatar
Get in, sit down, hang on
 

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Olds, Alberta Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 2,761
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 32
Thanked 90 Times in 85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
The name they gave it really bothers me! Now we have the LT-1, the LT1 and the LT1. Yet they are all completely different. Why gm? Whyyy!?
They (and other auto mfrs) have been re-using badges, trademarks, and terms over and over again since the 50's at least.

My "conspiracy theory" is that they do these things to drive us parts people crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2012, 11:53 PM
bigdog7373's Avatar
Of course it's fast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 2,673
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 13
Thanked 49 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC View Post
They (and other auto mfrs) have been re-using badges, trademarks, and terms over and over again since the 50's at least.

My "conspiracy theory" is that they do these things to drive us parts people crazy!
Just with gm off the top of my head:
ZL1
LS6
LT1
442 (changed meanings at least once)
Turbo fire, jet, thrust, glide, hydromatic. Yet none had anything to do with a turbo.
"Vortec" has been used to label a few different engines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2012, 05:44 PM
ProStreetRob's Avatar
Blown 502
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Selden NY
Age: 54
Posts: 168
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
Compression ratio: 11.5:1

WOW, Dont know that I would want to throw a Big Blower on that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
350 Crate Engine: Loud humming sound after engine warms up sofa1515 Engine 2 01-11-2010 06:48 PM
Engine Help. Engine Turns over Hard, like siezed yet runs awsome. Merle9069 Engine 3 10-05-2008 06:38 PM
I need engine mount bracket ideas 1930 chevy with 302 boss engine. Riley Engine 3 07-25-2008 07:29 AM
Ford 302 engine to engine stand bolt size? Lee in Texas Engine 4 03-24-2008 10:30 AM
95 ford F-150 engine swap, Same Transmission fit new engine? F-150 Transmission - Rearend 5 10-07-2007 12:11 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.