Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Go to machine for leather serging, overlock & hemming?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 10:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I live in Waukesha I assume you were probably a valuable resource for guys like Borchart Speed, Kilpatricks etc. Were you even in contact with Project Two? They did some nice interior work too in the area.

Anyways...

Basically I'm interested in starting an automotive fashion line, and would like to also be able to easily sew automotive interiors. I recognize that having good machines makes a huge difference. Just like I accept that it makes sense to purchase large, multiple monitor setups for my work & home and that they pay for themselves, I understand these machines will make the difference between quality work and junk.

The thickest materials I could imagine sewing would be guitar straps and belts. Most other materials will be wallets & seat leather\upholstery. I could never imagine myself sewing holsters or saddles.

What I'm looking to be able to do is a have a variety of sewing patterns available to me and machines that can efficiently and easily deal with leather. That restricts all my machines to true walking foot style machines with compound feeds.

Make no mistake, I'm an absolute newbie to leather. However, I'm not new to the business world. So I understand that if I want to play around in the leather business, and make prototypes, I need to invest in a proper tools. I simply don't have the time to get a low level machine and break my way into something decent eventually. My goal really is to create prototypes, test the market, and then mass produce if it works. If not, I can always sell the machines to the next person who wants to test their dreams against the market.

The serger I'm thinking I'll only need for cloth. So let's just count that out. But I'm unsure how to be able to get the variety of stitches one can get in garment stitching. Stitches like this.

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/me...0/stitches.gif

(Provided a link, because the image is massive)

I understand a good deal of these stitches are too close for leather, but for ones like 58 or 63, it'd be awesome to find a machine that could do something like that with leather. Not sure if one exists though =|

I guess I'm still not 100% sure what I'm looking for. I'm trying to understand what's available, what's good and what's bad. The budget is moving higher and higher, that's okay. But I'm just trying to make the right purchasing decisions so when I get to work I don't keep hitting walls. Had I just bought the Juki, I would have quickly figured out "hey this is great, but I still want to be able to do all those other decorative stitches!" very quickly.