that God forsaken check engine light - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2006, 06:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

that God forsaken check engine light

well this is not exactly hotrod related but if you ever had a light lit and tried to pass inspection you could probably relate. In N.J. if your car has a check engine light lit they fail you automatically for emissions. than you have to prove repairs with receipts. Anyway I thought I would clear the codes stored in the cars computer just before inspection .Well that don't work they knew the codes were canceled and failed the car for everything concerning emissions.The code doesn't even have anything to do with emissions ,it showing trans code for a shift solenoid. Does anybody out there know anything about ford transmissions 1996 explorer 4.0

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2006, 06:56 PM

What is the code??
Is there a description that you got with it?
The trans function IS now part of the emission control system.
More info is needed. Do this everyday...
Old 03-09-2006, 04:26 AM
thewrongshop@yahoo.com

Last photo:

That's JerZ's finest at work, they tried to flunk me because my vin# shows
that my van has a 305 gas V8 and I converted to diesel years and years ago.
I go through the same scenario every 2 years , I had less trouble getting the
39P7 coupe inspected .
If your getting a code for a solenoid pull the pan and change it and give it
another shot, if you can get a print out of your codes that may help when
you argue with the head jerk in charge. As Chazmac stated it's now part of the system that was the concept behind the solenoid /electric computer controlled trans in the first place. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:41 PM

Last photo:

trans code/ P0761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazmac
What is the code??
Is there a description that you got with it?
The trans function IS now part of the emission control system.
More info is needed. Do this everyday...
Hey chazmac ,Thanks for the responce. Its showing a P0761 and reads = shift solonoid c ckt performence or stuck off. this code keeps coming back, origanaly I had 2 the other one was a P0125 which read = closed loop fuel ctrl. insificent coolant temp. after reading that I realised my temp guage never did come up off the line even after running it for a long time,I know everything is relivant to operating temp so I addressed that first,coolant level full, replaced the ECT sensor per P0125 code still no temp improvment at guage so I replaced the sender .finally guage came up but not to normal cleared codes again and after about 20 miles the light was back on again.the shift solonoid was changed with a new valve body well not new but different now the dam thing slips in drive and the light is still on.Its supposed to have somthing to do with over drive I even adjusted the shift indicater so it was exactly in line with the D because it was a little to the right .
Old 03-09-2006, 05:55 PM

Last photo:

JerZ's finest alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1939P7
That's JerZ's finest at work, they tried to flunk me because my vin# shows
that my van has a 305 gas V8 and I converted to diesel years and years ago.
I go through the same scenario every 2 years , I had less trouble getting the
39P7 coupe inspected .
If your getting a code for a solenoid pull the pan and change it and give it
another shot, if you can get a print out of your codes that may help when
you argue with the head jerk in charge. As Chazmac stated it's now part of the system that was the concept behind the solenoid /electric computer controlled trans in the first place. Good luck.

Hey 1939P7,
I'll trade ya that van for my Explorer! ha ha I was just reading some old threads on check engine lights, one guy wrote I lifted the hood the engine was still there what gives? haha There supposed to be making it easier to diagnose your problems, but if ya ask me there are just too many damn solenoids, relays,switches, sensors and other gizmos. You have to be a computer tech to fix your car these days! What happen to the old points and condensers. Used to be all ya needed was fuel compression and spark. And it ran. No who knows what, but I'm learning. That was the first thing I did was drop the pan, and went for that solenoid. Wound up putting a used valve body in it that I had laying around. Now it slips. So it looks like I'll be taking that pan down again! Thanks for the response and the luck, I'll need it!
Old 03-09-2006, 08:07 PM
thewrongshop@yahoo.com

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolen67
Hey 1939P7,
I'll trade ya that van for my Explorer! ha ha I was just reading some old threads on check engine lights, one guy wrote I lifted the hood the engine was still there what gives? haha There supposed to be making it easier to diagnose your problems, but if ya ask me there are just too many damn solenoids, relays,switches, sensors and other gizmos. You have to be a computer tech to fix your car these days! What happen to the old points and condensers. Used to be all ya needed was fuel compression and spark. And it ran. No who knows what, but I'm learning. That was the first thing I did was drop the pan, and went for that solenoid. Wound up putting a used valve body in it that I had laying around. Now it slips. So it looks like I'll be taking that pan down again! Thanks for the response and the luck, I'll need it!
Hey, you got to be careful as to what you change in these
high tech computer controlled transmissions The ohms reading has to be correct and some are normally open and some are normally closed .
changing to a different valve body could do more harm than good,
ya best start from square 1 and find your bad solenoid and correct
the problem, since you had the codes pulled I'll bet they will tell
you more now after the VB change .
"just too many damn solenoids, relays,switches, sensors and other gizmos. You have to be a computer tech to fix your car these days! " that's the truthWorking on all this new stuff drives an old guy like me nut most of the time, I think the auto engineers couldn't cut it to become a proctologist but they have found another way to stick it up our butts . I don't know about you but every time I open a hood on a newer car I hear a rubber glove snap and and here this isn't going to hurt.

Good Luck & may the force be with you
Old 03-10-2006, 10:01 PM

OK
More info has helped. I am a little confused as to whether the coolant temp issue is resolved. Check operating temp with a secondary temp source (mini temp gun) to verify 190-195 degrees engine temp when fully warmed. Thermostat?
The trans issue sounds more involved. The shift solenoid C code sounds like a slipping converter clutch. The only way to verify this is with an scan tool that can monitor TCC performance (slip RPM). When the TCC is commanded on the TCC slip MUST fall below 100 RPM and stay there with throttle opening (engine load) unless the trans is commanded to release the TCC.
The computer is sending the command to operate the TCC solenoid and not seeing a corresponding engine RPM change (drop). The computer is seeing electrical solenoid operation, but no engine change (RPM). The programming then assumes the solenoid is stuck (mechanically) or there is a related mechanical problem (valvebody, converter, pump, clutch pack..) causing the engine RPM to be too high for the gear commanded and the road speed you are traveling.
Experience indicates that you will probably need significant trans work, if not an overhaul.
DO THIS: Seek a trans shop that will give you a preliminary diagnosis and COMPLETE explanation of the failure. If they can't show you on a scanner what is going on then THEY do not know what is going on...
I provide that diagnosis and estimate service free.... Not everyone will, but if you decide to repair the trans, make them waive the inspection/diagnosis fee.
I hope this helps your understanding... Good Luck

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.