Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Going from 700R4 to Muncie 4-speed '31 Coupe
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 03:57 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31ROC View Post
OK...I found this number just below passenger side head out front on the block...M02239VP, (or VR cant tell)...i cannot find this on the web, can anyone decode this?
M = Mexican casting. I see nothing for "9VP" or "VP". Could be a crate engine or a light truck engine. Truck suffix codes aren't that well represented in most data bases.

The block casting number would be a better indicator. The suffix you have is often seen on the c/n 10066036 block- which is a 1-piece rear main seal block w/o the casting bosses for a factory roller cam and lifters. Whether or not this relates to your engine remains to be seen.

To tell if it's a roller engine, you might be able to see down past the p-rod into the lifter valley if you have good lighting. If you see the roller cam spider, that tells you. Or you can remove a push rod to see if it's a roller or not. Flat tappet p-rod will be about 7.8", the roller engine uses a 7.2" p-rod.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
techinspector1 (01-23-2013)