Going from 700R4 to Muncie 4-speed '31 Coupe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 07:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Going from 700R4 to Muncie 4-speed '31 Coupe

I am considering for the winter project, to remove the current 700R4 auto tranny, and install a 4-speed Muncie (M21 or M22?). The car is a '31 Model A coupe, with '32 frame, and Ford 9" rearend, Chevy 350 motor. Are there suggestions out there what kind of 4-speed may fit better, and are there "kits" for installing a 4 speed into this car? I assume finding a pedal assembly may be a task in itself?
Thanks in advance....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 09:30 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31ROC View Post
I am considering for the winter project, to remove the current 700R4 auto tranny, and install a 4-speed Muncie (M21 or M22?). The car is a '31 Model A coupe, with '32 frame, and Ford 9" rearend, Chevy 350 motor. Are there suggestions out there what kind of 4-speed may fit better, and are there "kits" for installing a 4 speed into this car? I assume finding a pedal assembly may be a task in itself?
Thanks in advance....
The wide ratio M20 might make a better swap than the close ratio M21/22 unless you have a 4-something rear gear in it now. If that's the case (low rear gears) you might consider a manual w/OD.

You might find using a hydraulic throw out bearing makes things easier than running a cable or linkage. There are kits for them that include the pedal assembly.

Hopefully Auto Gear will see this and comment.

Good luck.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:20 AM

Last photo:

Present and accounted for.

There is no kit that I know of for a Model A on deuce rails. Welcome to hotrodding. A hydraulic assembly will certainly help matters; do your research though as some of the street rod pieces seem to be leak prone.

Some of the guy's who were around in the 60s may remember the Ansen swing pedal assemblies. This is a 'box that has 2 pedals in it (brake and clutch) with their respective reservoirs (I believe). This would certainly simplify things.

With regards to the muncie itself; If you want an M21/M22 you'll need at least a 3.73 rear gear. With the typical tall rear tire on a coupe, you'd really want a 4.11. You can run an M20 with a 3.42/3.55/3.73 or the 4.11 and be happy.

There are aftermarket gearsets that have special ratios for the Muncie. One company makes a version of the M20 ratio on the M22 platform. They're offshore gears. The higher than OEM quality gears are made in italy by 'Masiero' which is now 'Euroricambi'. They're approx twice the price, but if you're running it hard, I highly recommend it. Whatever you get, make sure that the countershaft hole at the front is in good shape; no pinpricks around it, no silicone, no leaks. It'd be better if you could get your hands on the 1" countershaft unit.

Regarding other transmissions: if its just a cruiser, a modified T5 would be great (they're usually 12-1500 from the guys who build them); you could also go with a New Process 833 OD. This was a 4speed overdrive sideshifted GM version of the venerable Mopar 833. It was used in pick up trucks in the late 80s I believe. Its a heavy ****; but it has the benefit of being approximately Muncie sized, has the mild OD and its a 4 speed. A TKO is going to be tough to fit I think.

If you get serious about this, I have a customer who is putting one of our 4 speeds in his 60's style 3w coupe (proprietary 2.98 1st gear with a 3.55 rear gear I think). I can touch base and see how he feels about jumping in here or e-mailing you.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the input guys....maybe the T5 or the M20 IS the way to go, but I am having some reservations now as my intent is to also tub this car and found out it could cost $5000? to do this?
I did not realize the frame had to be cut and altered, along with the rear end....(also heard there is a "kit" for doing this?) I guess the $$$ account will have to grow a bit first....
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Thanks in advance....
None of my business but why make the change? Sounds like you have a great combo as is.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 bug View Post
None of my business but why make the change? Sounds like you have a great combo as is.
It is a good combo, just not my cup of tea....to me a 4 -speed is meant for hot rods...
Old 11-24-2012, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
The wide ratio M20 might make a better swap than the close ratio M21/22 unless you have a 4-something rear gear in it now. If that's the case (low rear gears) you might consider a manual w/OD.

You might find using a hydraulic throw out bearing makes things easier than running a cable or linkage. There are kits for them that include the pedal assembly.

Hopefully Auto Gear will see this and comment.

Good luck.
So, doing a search for M20...and most ads are saying their M20 should fit 67-70's Chevrolet.....if I have a mid to late 70's 350, will this tranny fit?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
So, doing a search for M20...and most ads are saying their M20 should fit 67-70's Chevrolet.....if I have a mid to late 70's 350, will this tranny fit?
Also.....will the M20 have the correct spline counts input and output?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:19 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:

Also.....will the M20 have the correct spline counts input and output?
The tranny mates to the bellhousing and yes, the same bellhousing that fits the earlier blocks will fit your block. Put another way, any M20 will work, but it takes a bellhousing to connect the tranny and engine together.

The M20 can come from any GM vehicle, mine is from a Pontiac for example. So don't pass one up just because it doesn't say it's for a Chevy.

The input splines will determine the clutch you use, so there's no problem there. Older trannys (1962-'70) used the 10 spline input, newer trannys (1970-'74) used a 26 spline input. But you can get a clutch for either spline that will work for you. It's the output shaft spline count that can mean a different drive shaft yoke is needed or not.

The earlier M20 output shaft has 27 splines- the same spline as the tranny you have now. Or it can have a 32 spline output, this was used on the newer trannys.

You will need to install a pilot bushing in the crankshaft, this is what locates and supports the end of the input shaft.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:28 AM

Last photo:

EXCELLENT information, much appreciated! Thanks
Old 11-25-2012, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

Also been looking at pedal assemblies...doesnt look like there's much room under the floor, and I dont want the master cyclinders (clutch&brake) outside on the firewall....hanging down from under the dash is an option, but it appears the all-in-one units have the pedals too close together to put clutch on left of steering column and brake on the right?
Anyone out there have a solution for this?
Old 11-25-2012, 02:49 PM
WFO

Last photo:

What about using a reverse mount pedal assembly that puts the MC under the dash, or is that what you're talking about above? You can get these separately so they can be mounted where ever.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

yes...that is what I meant...but I am not smart enough to think of buying them seperate to fit them where I need!!!! I need to see where these can get mounted under there....I assume they must get mounted to something other than the firewall which will flex...
Great idea!!! The search begins....
Old 11-26-2012, 05:52 AM

you are losing the over drive with a 4 speed.If the car is worth the conversion,look into a t-56. pedal assemblies can be purchased as a kit.The transmission needs extra room over a muncie
Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 AM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

Muncies are easy to find. Just look at the input shaft, you want a 10 spline and the output shaft will use the same yoke as Turbo 350. A T10 will also work. Depending on what year your 350 is, there is a lite weight flywheel that works on the one piece seal engines. It weighs half of what a normal flywheel weighs. You can shave some weight off with the right combination of parts.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.