Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Going back to the street.
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 11:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Going back to the street.

Well, I have had a change of heart. I have posted several times about how to make the best power and save the most time on my old 1983 Silverado but, alas, the drag strip has been closed down permanently and I donít want all of the work Iíve done to my old truck to go to waste. I have decided to go back to driving it on the street more often and doing a little body work on it to spiff it up a little. My question is do you guys think I could make a few minor changes to perhaps get a little more gas mileage out of this truck just for cruising without sacrificing much power at WOT and too much time in the ľ?

My engine is still plenty mild enough to be driven on the street fairly easy. Here is my current set up: standard bore 350 with dish pistons, RHS Pro Action 180cc heads 2.02/1.60 valves 64cc combustion chambers. Lunati Bracket Master II 230/230 292/292 480Ē lift cam, Comp Cams Ultra Gold 1.5 roller rocker arms. Edelbrock air gap intake with an Edelbrock 750 carb. Headman 1 5/8 headers. For the drive train I have a B&M Hole Shot 3000 torque converter, TCI Super Street Fighter TH350 transmission and 4.10 posi rear end. I am running 315/65/15 Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials right now, but I am going to get a shorter tire for the street.

This truck gets terrible gas mileage. Do you have any suggestions on what I could do to maybe save a little gas without hurting too much of its potential. I still plan to pull it to the drag strip some, but I live at least a 2 hour drive from one now so, I canít go much.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Larry.