Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - going bald from tearing my hair out
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 04:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is the alt a true one wire or a three wire wired as a one wire? The three wire would have a wire from the #2 terminal straight to the lg output lug on the back of the alt.....hence a one wire. If it's a true three wire, I'd remove the wire from the #2 terminal and the lg output lug. run a new wire, 10 guage or so and about 4-5 foot long, to the main hot wire going into the fuse box/pos post on the battery.

The #2 terminal is the sense wire and tells the alt how much juice to put out, on 60's era car's GM originaly ran this from the alt to a radiator support terminal/junction, then across the radiator support to the drivers side then tied into a fuseable link and into the pos side of the electrical system to take avantage of the resistance the long wire run provied....... getting a truer sense of the demands on the electrical system etc.....

I'm thinking your alt is getting a false signal to produce more juice etc.. The temp wire will prove/disprove that etc......

Just my 2 cents