Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - going bald from tearing my hair out
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

You should be able to maintain a constant 14volts give or take .2 volts with a fully charged battery.
I would be willing to bet you have a couple issues which makes it more difficult to diagnose.
First you need a good multimeter to see what the voltage really is at different points in the system.
You need to pull the battery and have it charged and tested. Recently I have seen batteries cause weird issues.
You need to be sure of exactly what you have for an alternator. A one wire is a waste of time in my opinion and will not necessarily work properly when the other wires are connected. The voltage regulator is the main difference between a one wire and a three wire.
There is a small d shaped hole in the back of the alternator. In that hole there is a little metal tab. If you carefully insert a small screwdriver into that hole and ground that tab it will force full output on the alternator. This may help you test it.

Chet