Hot Rod Forum banner

Going from BBC back to SBC(2) will have questions...

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Garbonzo Bojangles 
#1 ·
Well decided to pull and sell the good ole 427 BBC (PM me if interested I have it listed in few places)

What I am going to do is use a newer 5.3ltr SBC2 engine I have and install an LS1 hot cam... Also add a 4L60E (2 piece housing) with Vette converter... I have the computer to go with this engine but will need the wiring harness... Has anyone had any dealings with kind of setup...? I know Painless makes a harness any others...?

What I want is to have a very easy to drive but still very quick old school truck (my 69 C10) but with much newer tech in it... I am retaining the 4.56 rear gear which should make the 5.3ltr feel like a rocket... :D But have the OD and some what should be ok fuel economy...?

#2 ·
It's my understanding that the LS1 harness and the 5.3 harness are the same except for the injector connectors. I'm not familiar with the 5.3, but with the LS1 out of a late model fbody you have 3 plugs that have the wires that are needed to add power to the PCM. Basically it's pink wires to ignition switch on, and orange is to batt pos. You'll probably need a pinout of the PCM to trace the PCM grounds from.

The hotcam should make good power in a 5.3. It's sure has a nice lope to it! If you plan on swapping out the valve springs check into a set of LS6 springs, good to about a .560 lift and a set is about 60-70 bucks.

I'm putting a LS1/4L60e into a 41 Chevy, but I haven't modified my harness yet, but hope to get to it in a couple of months. If you want a shop modified harness ready to go PM me and I'll send you a link or 2.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info for sure... ;) But I got an offer to swap my BBC 427 for a complete LS1 from a 1999 Z28 with 15K miles and has a hot cam already and some other modds...? (not sure just yet) but also the 4L60E & a 3500 stall converter... Plus it has an aftermarket wiring harness with programable ECM...

Think it would be a good even swap...? (once I find out all the details...?)

#4 · (Edited)
Well I'm not sure what kinda $$$ you have in the big block, but IMO that sounds like a very good deal to me,, around here a complete LS1 pullout with the stuff you listed would go for 3500-4K or so.

I've been around alot of the LS1 fbodys and I'd guess that the combo you have listed will yield about 370rwhp and the torque should be in the same range (I'd bet 20$ that I'm within +/- 20 hp),,, and it'll be alot better on the gas budget than the big block!

If you get it can I suck up enough for a detailed picture of the harness,LOL! :mwink:

*edited to add: if you need any measurements made to verify how it'll fit just pm me. The alt and a/c compressor both mount low on the motor and could cause problems with frame clearance. The fbody oil pan is a rear sump,,,,

#5 ·
Bumpstick said:
Thanks for the info for sure... ;) But I got an offer to swap my BBC 427 for a complete LS1 from a 1999 Z28 with 15K miles and has a hot cam already and some other modds...? (not sure just yet) but also the 4L60E & a 3500 stall converter... Plus it has an aftermarket wiring harness with programable ECM...

Think it would be a good even swap...? (once I find out all the details...?)
If I were you and I was looking to go to newer tech I would have already made this trade. :thumbup: Top choice for me would be to swap an LS7 for my 406 in my 442. Little expensive though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.