Going Green - Is this swap possible? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 08:16 AM

Last journal entry: A years worth of catching up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Going Green - Is this swap possible?

I've got the opportunity for a pretty unique rodding project right now, if it turns out to be possible/realistic. I just got a new job for a media company thats very active in the whole "green" movement. We've been talking about the possibility of an on air segment & blog about a car running on WVO (waste vegitable oil) to eliminate its carbon footprint and help the environment, not to mention the economical savings of running on free french fry grease instead of $4.00/gallon gas or diesel.

So, while tossing around ideas for the best car to use for the show & the best conversions available, I figured I'd throw it out there that I've got a '55 Caddy that would be perfect if we converted it over to diesel to run on the WVO because of the irony that a giant '55 Cadillac would be the most eco-friendly car around. They love the idea, so now I need to find out if its possible, what the conversion will entail, and how to move forward.

So...whats the best diesel motor to swap into a caddy? If I get a diesel chevy pickup as a donor, will the trans & motor mounts line up already or need to be fabbed anyway? Will the exhaust & electrical systems need to be modified? Can I keep the same fuel tank & lines (for the diesel portion)?

Lets say hypothetically that I use a '89 Suburban with a 6.2 diesel as the donor car (just found that on craigslist & figured it'd be a good example). There's a WVO conversion kit available for that truck, so what I would do is pull the motor, drop it in the caddy, get it running on diesel fuel, then install the WVO conversion & start runnin' it on french fries. What else do I need to change? Electrical? Exhaust? fab up trans mounts & motor mounts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 08:23 AM

Last photo:

I've never owned a diesel, but I've played with the idea. Most diesels will run on WVO without any modification. The diesel was originally designed to run on vegetable oil. Filter the WVO, start you motor on diesel or biodiesel, heat your WVO with heaters or coolant from the motor, switch to WVO once it's warmed up. You need to switch back to diesel or biodiesel to clear out the fuel lines before you switch it off.

Kevin
Old 08-11-2008, 08:32 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA67_72
I've never owned a diesel, but I've played with the idea. Most diesels will run on WVO without any modification. The diesel was originally designed to run on vegetable oil. Filter the WVO, start you motor on diesel or biodiesel, heat your WVO with heaters or coolant from the motor, switch to WVO once it's warmed up. You need to switch back to diesel or biodiesel to clear out the fuel lines before you switch it off.

Kevin
Yup, from what I've researched so far, as long as you filter the WVO down to 2 microns & can get it to a temperature of 180, it has the same viscocity & combustion properties as diesel fuel so the motor doesn't hardly know the difference at that point. The hard part for me is managing to get the diesel motor in the old caddy.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The motor mounts for a Chevy truck diesel and trans will not even be close to the stock mounts in your Caddy. The diesel also weighs several hundred pounds more than our original engine. It will all be custom fabrication.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:19 AM

Last photo:

I'd just set the truck motor in there with it's rubber mounts and weld up some steel to make up the difference. Box the a-frames and bag it to handle the weight. Of course if it were mine, I'd be going straight for a bigger turbo.

Kevin
Old 08-11-2008, 09:30 AM

personally i would source one of the newer chevy diesels or a 7.3 from a ford. 6.2 and 6.5 are not the greatest diesel motors. id say go for broke and make it a drag car like they did on pimp my ride. the diesel has the torque to move it off the line, just needs a bigger turbo for power on the top end.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

would the newer diesels be any more of a challenge than the older ones? Won't I have to do all sorts of computers & stuff too? What about using a mercedes turbo diesel? Just based on how much luck the WVO guys have had with that platform it seems like something to consider if the motormounts & everything have to be fabbed up anyway.

I have no idea what kind of budget we can work with yet on this, but if its more than a couple thousant bucks I have to convince the network to let me start pitching it to sponsors, then secure a sponsor, and get their money before I can even start working on the project. And I can't fab this stuff up so every non-bolt-up labor is going to cost money.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.