Going into my 200R4, could use advice... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 02:36 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN
Interesting quote from that 1st article: "Repeated reciprocation of the accumulator piston causes wear at the piston pin bore interface. After this wear reaches a critical point, fluid loss through the piston pin bore cannot be compensated due to lack of pump volume." I didn't notice any bore slop, but I do have the old 7 vane pump in this tranny...
BTW, did you get my PM from earlier this week?
Russ
Most Builders prefer the 7 or 10 Vane Rotors.
Fewer Vanes = more volume & stronger Rotor.
I've read if using the 13 Vane Rotor to never raise the Engine above Idle speed before the Trans is full of fluid to prevent breaking the Rotor.
The 13 Vane do smooth out Pump pulses and Pr. Reg. Buzz noise but, are much weaker.
Several Co.s make Billet Steel Rotors & Slides now, cost is higher but, probably worth it with 13 Vane if running higher pressures & rpm.

I noticed on Evilbay just recently the Pump kit prices have gone crazy, 3-4 times more. Mainly 2 Sellers, other sites no increase.

Todd

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 07:30 AM

Last photo:

I'd a kept the 2.73s and put a 2.75 low gear set in a Turbo 350 or 400...
Old 12-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonneville462
I'd a kept the 2.73s and put a 2.75 low gear set in a Turbo 350 or 400...
Huh?
Old 12-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last photo:

Happy to report, the problem was "cured" by blocking the port and deleting the piston and spring. The shift quality didn't seem to change either, must be the 3600 stall mellowing things out!

Russ
Old 03-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last photo:

Bringing this back up for a different input:

I'm considering installing a full manual reverse pattern VB in order to do away with the TV cable as the intake setup I'm looking at will be difficult to adapt it to and wouldn't look good.

I e-mailed my builder (Jake) who wasn't sure about some things and asked that I forward it to Lonnie Diers at Extreme Automatics. He responded back that by using this VB in a 200R4 that's been dual-fed like mine has, there would be no reverse! Undoing the dual-fed would require the trans to be diasassembled, so that's out.

What say you other knowledgeable peeps?

Russ
Old 03-24-2012, 03:26 AM

Last photo:

What type Intake etc.. are you considering using?

That sounds correct, the Manual VB fluid routing probably wont jive with the Dual Fed 3rd's, seal removed on Center Support & Bolt orifice blocked etc.
Did Lonnie have any way around the Reverse problem? or maybe Chris @CK? It would probably be costly & time consuming to study the flow diagram and build a custom Man. VB.
Chris likes to do custom parts if they'll be profitable. I'm not sure if this one would be or not tho'.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
What type Intake etc.. are you considering using?

That sounds correct, the Manual VB fluid routing probably wont jive with the Dual Fed 3rd's, seal removed on Center Support & Bolt orifice blocked etc.
Did Lonnie have any way around the Reverse problem? or maybe Chris @CK? It would probably be costly & time consuming to study the flow diagram and build a custom Man. VB.
Chris likes to do custom parts if they'll be profitable. I'm not sure if this one would be or not tho'.
Todd, I'm looking at the new dual-quad two plane from Holley. They just tested it in Super Chevy magazine on a 5.3L with a pair of 390 CFM's and it matched the output from a Victor Jr with the exception of 50+ ft-lbs on the lower end. I prolly could use my TV cable, but it would look like sh#$ and I'd like to change my shifter anyway. I e-mailed Lonnie again, as Jake had said something about him being involved in developing a "new and improved" manual VB...

Russ
Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

kinda interesting, I talked to Jake about this same deal on valve bodys last week.

I concerder Jake my ''go to guy'' on 200-4r stuff I dont know
Old 03-24-2012, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

A while back Lonnie designed a 2004R Valve Body that had Constant Pressure in 1st, 2nd & 3rd but Variable TV Pr. in 4th/OD position. I think it had Manual 1,2,3 & Auto shifts in 4th/OD gear position.
The TV controlled Pr. in 4th/OD gear position takes the constant Pr. load off the Pump. Not sure if this is what Jake is referring to or not. I don't know if it worked with the Dual Fed 3rd either. It should tho' as Lonnie does Dual Feed most all that have any power hooked to them.

Since TurboBuick upgraded their site none of my old Bookmarks work.
There's a Thread that listed what to remove so they'd work & I can't find that either.

A Braided TV Cable & Billet bracket might look Ok.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 PM

Last photo:

I speak with Lonnie occasionally.

I "thought" when I spoke to him a month or two ago that he said he had a RMVB for the 200-4R.

I believe he was involved with the design of the TCI piece (with Greg Friend). He said it has an issue and IIRC it was with 4-3 kickdowns killing the OD roller.

I'll try to talk to him in the next couple of days and clarify.

I could probably design a forward pattern 200-4R full manual VB but I am backed up with testing a couple of other designs for 4L80Es and TH400's right now.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeshoe
I speak with Lonnie occasionally.

I "thought" when I spoke to him a month or two ago that he said he had a RMVB for the 200-4R.

I believe he was involved with the design of the TCI piece (with Greg Friend). He said it has an issue and IIRC it was with 4-3 kickdowns killing the OD roller.

I'll try to talk to him in the next couple of days and clarify.

I could probably design a forward pattern 200-4R full manual VB but I am backed up with testing a couple of other designs for 4L80Es and TH400's right now.
Jake, thanks for jumping in, please keep us posted!

Also, if you or anyone else knows of a shifter with a reverse pattern 4 speed gate, let me know... There's a guy on the TBB board that has a FMRVB 200R4 in a Datsun 240Z swap and is using a Quicksliver shifter. AFAIK, it only has a 3 speed reverse gate and I can't get him to reply to my PM...

Russ
Old 03-31-2012, 10:57 PM

Last photo:

Update.
Lonnie DOES make a RMVB for the 200-4R.
When you emailed you just asked about the TCI VB, he answered your question but didn't know you were still looking for a VB.

You may try to get back in touch with him.

I can get reverse pattern 4 speed shifters from one of my suppliers but will have to check pricing. They are similar to the Cheetah Turbo Action shifters.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeshoe
Update.
Lonnie DOES make a RMVB for the 200-4R.
When you emailed you just asked about the TCI VB, he answered your question but didn't know you were still looking for a VB.

You may try to get back in touch with him.

I can get reverse pattern 4 speed shifters from one of my suppliers but will have to check pricing. They are similar to the Cheetah Turbo Action shifters.
Thanks Jake, I'll get back with him...

BTW, my buddy Ray (who's reworking Kent Hollier's Camaro) finally finished it up and took it for a checkout ride Wednesday. He said your 4L80 shifted flawlessly and the 'brake worked great!

Russ
Old 02-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Did you ever wonder?

Last journal entry: Got it moving under its own power
Last photo:

200r4E=S10xGN;1541516]Bringing this back up for a different input:

I'm considering installing a full manual reverse pattern VB in order to do away with the TV cable as the intake setup I'm looking at will be difficult to adapt it to and wouldn't look good.

I e-mailed my builder (Jake) who wasn't sure about some things and asked that I forward it to Lonnie Diers at Extreme Automatics. He responded back that by using this VB in a 200R4 that's been dual-fed like mine has, there would be no reverse! Undoing the dual-fed would require the trans to be diasassembled, so that's out.

What say you other knowledgeable peeps?

Russ[/QUOTE]

I know, OLD. But, Jim Weiss was hooking the tv cable up to the gas pedal on his 2004r conversions when doing a GS abody. I guess the th400 kick down is mounted to the has pedal and he uses this as a mounting point for the tv cable. Might be something to look into.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.