Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Going into the upholstery business.
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 09:47 PM

Last journal entry: floor sheeting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thank you for the advice Dan,that is exactly the honesty i had hoped for.
My plan was as you said to work a normal day to day job and do the upholstery on the side.I have always liked the thought of doing interior,and decided to pursue it on my local hotrod builders suggestion.I have done some headliner/speaker grill work for him in the past and helped him install all the interior on a customers 57' 210 SHOW WORTHY chevy.He said that he was impressed with my attention to detail,and my ambition to learn. He also tells the owners of all the cars he restores/builds that they are on there own for an interior.However when he first mentioned the thought of my going to school for upholstery he said that when I got back he wanted to do at least 3 of his family's personal car's,and that if I proved myself to him he would suggest to all his customers I do there work and let them see what I did for him.
Upon arriving home I plan on doing the interior on a few of my own vehicles that will see shows on a regular basis to get my name out there.
My wife's grandfather used to be the "go to guy" here in my town but retired some years ago.He is confident that I can pay the bills if I produce what people want and also brought it to my attention that I am not trying to appeal to the locals as much as the car world in general.