Hot Rod Forum banner

Going into the upholstery business.

12K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  itsmecord 
#1 ·
So for those of you already in the trade I have a few questions.
I will be starting up my own place after I leave schooling for it. I have the local restoration/hotrod shop in my pocket so to speak.I have a shop at my disposal so that is one less thing to worry about. IF any of you guy may suggest a handful of good start out machines, ranging from the lower to the higher prices range,and some supplier's of the materials used that would be great.Another thing I am wondering about is how you guys quote jobs ?
I don't know how many upholster's are on here but I have seen the work of DanTwolakes and feel that if I can do half the quality he does AT ANY POINT IN MY CAREER I will have done top notch work.
Any and all help/advise from anybody would be greatly appreciated.

#27 · (Edited)
:D No problem. I didn't mean to come off like I was dumbaxx'n you in the instructions. Hope I didn't :thumbup: I usually explore a website. I don't understand many website designers that "hide" info instead of highlighting the links that open more info. Many sites have a lot more info than appears.
Clicking on words, pictures, ect has often opened up a series of pages.
The price list is a pdf but Adobe Reader is a free download.

I like the idea of doing my own upholstery but I am looking at the local vo-tech for classes.
I am not in a position to go on an extended stay at a school out of town.

Good luck with your plans. I will say....in my area (Western OK.) there aren't many shops doing auto upholstery, maybe two :( so if you find the right location you might be surprised.

#28 ·
Naw,you didn't come off as anything but helpful.I really like the looks of this school versus wyo. because it's WAY cheaper,I am not spending 6 moths doing classes I don't want/need,I'm not a thousand miles away in 4 foot of snow,and I am originally from Texas. I also agree on the web pages hiding some info...do they not want you to know whats going on ? Or are most people that use computers a little more savvy than I ?

#29 ·
Trust me... I am NOt a website designer, and its all too easy to "armchair quarterback" someone elses work.
I am not all that computer literate myself. :smash:

Reading the description it looks like a great deal. I like the way the class is set up. And for a 4 week program it might not be too expensive to find a place to stay.

I take it Wyo's price was a lot higher.?? I have heard from a couple others that they like to "upsell" you stuff you don't need/ aren't interested in. Like telling you the upholstery classes can only be taken as part of a year long automotive course.There's not one close to me so I never checked.

This one in Houston would be "do-able" for me if I really pressed it as I was born in Houston and have a brother there I could stay with, but right now it just isn't in the cards. Too many people counting on me here.
Good luck and let us all know how it turns out.

#30 ·
Wyotech was going to cost me $32,000 for 6 months automotive tech,and 3 months trim,and upholstery,with "SOME" of housing in that as well.
The thing is they don't really "want" people with a family such as myself.They want single kids that are using daddy's credit card. They do "help" you find funding BUT they dont,(or at least the two people I had) really know what they are doing...one of the people assigned to help was telling me places to get grants from and most of the links she game me were dead,did not even apply to my circumstances,or were already past the deadline. Wyo was not a place I actually wanted to go so much as it was all my computer dumb sell could find.
Now that I have been supplied with the link I am seriously looking into going here if for no other reason than to learn the lingo,and whats what.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.