going retro from serpentine belt system back to v-belt can i swap out the reverse ro - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 08:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

going retro from serpentine belt system back to v-belt can i swap out the reverse ro

i am using an 89 305 sbc and would like to retro fit it from the current serpentine belt system back to the v-belt setup. can i just replace the reverse rotation water pump with an earlier long pump or will that cause flow problems internally? can i use a crossflow radiator turned to mount vertically in my 36 grill shell ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 09:24 PM

Water Pump Issue

At least you understand that you need a water pump that rotates in the other direction if you change to a "V" belt setup. I don't see a problem using an earlier style water pump. It should provide sufficient water flow to keep your engine cool. As for using a crossflow radiator in the up and down orientation, this should not cause a problem as long as you have your header/overflow tank above the highest point of the radiator. You can overcome a low tank mount problem by using an "Up Lift" tool to fill your cooling system where you can vacuum down the cooling the system and have the coolant sucked into the system avoiding any "Air Locks". You should have enough room under your hood to mount a header tank above the top of the radiator and avoid all of these air lock problems. The cooling system works best if you have two hoses coming to the header tank. One from the rad and another from a cylinder head to let any air in the system to work it's way uphill. Your's, Westfaliaguy.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Just out of curiousity why change the serpentine? is it due to lack of A/C? if so you can get a bolt on pulley arrangement and keep the serpentine. Once I went serpentine I`ll never go back to V belts.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:54 PM

retro to v-belt

westfaliaguy,thank you for the info,i have been seeking this information on the mounting of a crossflow vertically for some time now and am thankful for the response.i am still curious about mounting an extra tank above the radiator, cooling systems are not my strong point,and you mentioned an extra hose setup to avoid cavitation,on a sbc what would be a good place to tap into so that it would look professional. could i use a modified coolant overflow tank above the radiator and would i have to weld on a filler neck etc.?
doublevision howdy, thanks for the reply. i am basically trying to retro back to the fifties look,running an open sided hood setup and only retaining the 2 piece top section using dzus fasteners to attach it to the cowl and the grille housing,the old batwing oldsmobile aircleaner and those nostalgic olsmobile aftermarket "rocket" cast valve covers,and the v-belt setup.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:59 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

What is the purpose of mounting crossflow radiator vertically? Why not use a radiator specifically built to fit your application?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:56 PM

back to v-belt

basically i am trying to keep the cost down and i can find an almost new crossflow at the pic n pay [boneyard] for very negotiable funds,i.e a crossflow from a late model v-8 wagoneer will fit vertically a supply the cooling area and volume that i need for a sbchevy and still go home with an extra 300 smazolies for some other items,like that early ford bronco rear axle assembly which is only 54" wide to my stocker which is 56" wide and it comes with a 5 on 5 1/2" pattern to match the early ford 5 on 5 1/2" i am converting to on the front end to run early ford reversed all around.

thanks for the question,blazin,it was a logical inquery,but sometimes us old bucks arent that logical but we are thinkers,you know something like what if i split the exhaust manifold on that gimmy six in a row and welded a plate in the middle and cut a second opening to make dual exhaust,i wnder how she will sound with dual smithys and straight pipes,im just sayin.

that was 1962 here it is 07 and im still thinkin,you know like what if.......

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.