gold leaf opinion and advice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2003, 02:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

gold leaf opinion and advice

Hi, new to board have read a lot of articles and this is my first post. I searched knowledge base and other threads for info but have more specific questions.
I'm kickin around the idea of doing a flat black paint no gloss using something like the john deer flat, and doing gold leaf flames on the front with red pinstrip around flames. Do yall think it would look cool or just crappy with that much leaf. I would put like a red or gold base under flames before leaf. Also after clear coating about how much thickness differance would there be between the flat black and leaf, would it be too thick or would the red pin strip smooth most of the transition. I have done metal flake before and love the results, but I'm looking for something different, has anybody seen flames done with leaf? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Cody

I have seen leaf used on chopper tanks, but not a large area that I'm thinkin about doing.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2003, 04:29 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

I've never seen that much gold leaf before, and to tell the truth, I've only seen it three times. IMHO, gold leafs for flames would be too much gold leaf and look tacky. But that's from picturing it in my head. I like flames on flat black, but only on certain cars as well, and they are mostly old bombs and cruisers. But, that's just my opinion...
Old 12-10-2003, 09:20 PM

Gold leaf is so thin that the pin striping will be higher than the leaf. Take a look at some varigated gold leaf. it may be just the thing to put on. the colors in the leaf will break up the pattern some so it won't look so all gold........GlennK
Old 12-10-2003, 10:31 PM

gt2betubbed- Thanks for your honest opinion. I'm going to try it on a 50's fridge door first to see how it comes out, hopefully it won't look too gaudy.

46_stvblt- Thanks for the tip on the verigated leaf that stuff looks real cool may give it a try.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I gold leafed the lettering on my Willys and it came out fine. 46 has it right - the striping is thicker than the leaf. About 3 coats of clear and a little color sanding and polishing will level it all out.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:22 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

I've done gold leaf flames on a organic blue base with yellow striping. If you do the flames thin enough they look awsome. I've also done gold leaf flames over a organic green base with yellow striping, it came out very nice. Both times the base was a primary color or a color made up by the leafing shade (yellow). the only trouble you may runn into is flattening agent over the leaf, you must tape around the leaf, spray the black with flattend clear, then tape off the leaf, spray with non flattened clear, then colorsand to blend. Otherwise your leaf will look milky and cloudy and all together bad. I personally am using copper leaf on my ford with a suede black base, not in flames, but I have had the urge for sometime to do the flames with the leaf over the entire vehicle. We'll see...

HK
Old 12-12-2003, 06:39 PM

Hk
Thanks for the input. Question for ya though, what do you mean by organic base? Also what type of design are you planning on doing on your ride with the copper leaf.
Cody
Old 12-12-2003, 07:21 PM

Last photo:

Do you guys thin the gold leaf size and spray it on when doing big areas like that ? , what do you use to thin it down ?
Old 12-12-2003, 08:09 PM

Stitch
Haven't done it yet, but from what people have been telling me is that you can use the adhesive made for the leaf its water based I believe that goes on white but dries clear. Will not cause any problems with a clear coat. As far as thickness, I looked at the stuff in the store yesterday and its supper thin, and a clear should cover it well. If you want you can PM me and I'll send you some more info that was sent to me by other members. Good luck.
Cody
Old 12-14-2003, 05:44 PM

Last photo:

Organic green is just a color name, its an HOK candy color.

Leaf adhesive is very strong ahesive and if used properly will hold very well on a big area. Like I said in my previous post I've done two leaf flamejobs and they had absolutly no problems.

Leaf is very thin, there is absolutly no distortion in the topoat thats noticable by site. A good paint job usually requires a color sanding anyway to finish everything perfectly so there will be absolutly no sighn on a lip.

My plans were just as yours are, flames. I've been toying with the idea for months, still not sure if I'm going to go through with it. If I were to they would be overall flames (hood, roof, doors, trunk) If I do not I will just be adding some leaf accents on the hood and trunk and a few other places. Havn't fully decided yet, but I still have a few months of work to do before I'm ready for paint anyway.

HK
Old 12-16-2003, 01:20 PM

HK Darn thought I came up with something original with the leaf flames.... Anyways hope yours turns out well and be sure and post some pics.
Cody
Old 12-16-2003, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

Don't feel to bad, its very difficult to be original and do something thats never been done because theres no way of knowing if it actually was or not. It was done even before I did it on bikes back in the 60'-70's.

If your looking for originality let me know what your looking to do it on and in what style and I'll try and work with you to come up with some cool stuff to tweek your ride.

HK
Old 12-17-2003, 03:40 PM

Last photo:

Ed Roth

THE RAT FINK Ed was doing gold leaf on Lakewood Blvd in LA, CA back in the 50-60s. My first Harley was done by him. Gold leaf paper / cover with ladies lace hair net and paint black / cover with red candy apple / clear coat / buff. Cost me 1200 bucks back in 64 to do the bike. Don't believe gold has come down in price. I took my 54 chevy to him for a gold leaf top. He put the leaf on and then used clear at high pressure to create a cotton candy web effect over it. Light blue candy top coat and man it shined at night. Leaf flames... hey, why not. Maybe a lace over the flame to soften it. Ed wasn't cheap. He practiced a lot and made up for it in the prices he charged. Love to see what you come up with.

hr41pearl
Old 12-17-2003, 03:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Re: Ed Roth

Quote:
Originally posted by Thom Laybourne
. . . Cost me 1200 bucks back in 64 to do the bike. Don't believe gold has come down in price. . . .
hr41pearl
That is why I used imitation gold leaf. WAY cheaper and I can't tell the difference in how it applies or how the final product looks.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:38 AM

something like this?

the above pic is imitation, i believe...

i'm tempted to try it with aluminium foil!

Last edited by autocol; 12-18-2003 at 06:38 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.