Gold vs Xtreme - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 09:06 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Gold vs Xtreme

I am about to order a fresh supply of filler and I am a big fan of Rage Gold but I was wondering what you guys might think of the Rage Xtreme? What is the big difference between the two? Also I have been using "Icing" finishing putty but a guy I was talking to at the paint store (another customer) told me the USC "Half Time" sands a lot better and that is all he will use anymore, opinions on that maybe?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2007, 11:30 AM

Personally I dont care for xtreme. Xtreme to me is like they mixed in some metal glaze and made it thinner.
Stick with the gold, its cheaper. Never used the USC stuff...Eric
Old 08-19-2007, 12:46 PM

Gold vs Xtreme

Old red Ive never used the gold,but I'am doing a pair of doors right now with the Xtreme. The both of them were a wavy mess so I had to skim coat the pair a little on the thick side. After about an hour a started in with 36d on an air board.I Know I was pushing the cure time, but I was tring to beat the rain! I can't believe how nice this stuff is compaired to Mico-Lite.It seems to sand easy and dosn't clog the paper, is smooth as silk and no pinholes.Ive been working on them this morning only now I'am up to 180d and its still going great! A couple of days ago I started a thread asking the same thing one of the guys said Rage is creamer than Micro-Lite and he was right! At the same time I got a tube of Icing and tried a little just for fun, but wasn't as happy with it. Maby I'am using it wrong, I'am looking for something to replace nitro-stan and works like it but with out the draw backs.I got the Xtreme because my supplier dosn't stock the gold, but I want to try both.I hope some of the Pros will give you feedback on this and the many other kinds of fillers and glazing putties out there.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:05 PM

Gold vs Xterem

Old red Eric is probably right!! I paid about 40 bucks for a gallon and can't say if thats high or low. But like I said I haven't found the gold yet
Old 08-19-2007, 05:02 PM

Last photo:

At the Auto Body Tool Mart site the Extreme and gold are about the same price, 29.99 for the Gold and 33.99 for the Extreme. I ordered the Half Time so I will find out about it when I try it but the Icing works so good I really don't expect anything too fantastic. I guess this has already been covered a bunch of times and I should have done a search first but I saw both of these priced about the same and I was just curious as to what the major difference is, I ordered a gallon of each so I will soon know.

Last edited by oldred; 08-19-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Chris Ryan

Last photo:

I've used both. The Extreme is only a couple bucks more. I like the Gold myself, it has to be the easiest sanding filler. The Extreme is supposed to be free of pinholes and sand easy with only 80 grit paper. I personally think the Extreme is more difficult to sand, seems harder. Just my 2 cents, Chris
Old 08-19-2007, 10:03 PM

Last photo:

It's all personal prefference, the gold is thicker, extreme is thinner. They both sand well. I like extreme and for anything that needs more than 1/16' fill then I'll use GlassLite for a base fill and finish with extreme. I don't use any glaze since switching to Extreme. I used regular Rage and Rage Gold for years with no problems. Bob
Old 08-20-2007, 09:43 AM

Xtreme vs gold

Old red ' It sounds like I paid alot more for the xtreme than I should have "Thats my thanks for shopping locally"! But the good side is that I took the doors I was working on yesterday down to 320d this morning and haven't run in to a pinhole yet.What I like best about it is the paper savings "It dosn't clog the paper up" and cuts nice! " Bob is on the money" at this rate I won't need a spot putty or glaze. Pete
Old 08-20-2007, 10:54 AM

Last photo:

Sounds like I may not have needed the Half Time glazing putty and that little can cost nearly as much as the Rage Gold.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:20 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

from a boot body man, I have been using 3m zebra filler and found that I was unable to get the product without buying by the case. I was at that point a while back but am beyond that. Anyway I opted for some pink, fell for the all the body men uses it sales pitch. Short story I used it and was just fine with the results I was getting, must admit it was on par with the 3M. When I do my filling I have problem with the laying down of the product and sometimes need to go back over the area. I got a can of the extreme and tried it out.... Here is what i noticed right off with this product.................... very smooth, easy to get good cover, very easy to go back over while wet, to smooth lines or fill in defects from the first pass. The biggest thing I could not help noticing was it seemed to stay workable, ply able longer then the others I have used. I was really glad to have tried this the results were better then expected. I am writing this for the boot body men out here like myself and just want to pass along a suggestion to try this stuff out, it mentions that it is self leveling and that it dose, after it cures it is totally smooth without pinholes, this will be a great product to skim coat with. When I get home today I will sand out the high spots and have another look from the first run on this I think this will sure be a good adventure .............. sand paper solute to rag extreme
Old 08-21-2007, 09:30 AM

Last photo:

I like the Rage Gold and until now it was all I use but this Extreme version sounds quite a bit different and there may be a time and place for each product so maybe I will keep both on hand. Then again maybe I need to be careful about having too much filler sitting around the shop, might make people wonder about my work.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:57 AM

Gold vs Xtreme

Oldred, I just wanted to update you on my doors using xtreme. I primed them yesterday and they look great. I did them off the truck on saw horses and the self leveling action of the xtreme worked great. I'am going to try the gold next time. Oh! Oldred don't worry about the extra filler around the shop, You have to be brave! Your not a Pro until you can make rockers out of beer cans and tiger hair Thanks Pete
Old 08-22-2007, 11:17 AM

Last photo:

Well I am not a pro painter but if you need any advice on those beer cans just ask.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:53 PM

Where are you guys ordering the "Gold" from?

Harley Monster
Old 08-23-2007, 10:15 PM

Last photo:

I don't understand that price of $35.99 because I just ordered from them a couple of days ago and it was $29.99 and the "Extreme" was only $33.99

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/sear...ords=rage+gold

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.