Good or bad results from using vinyl dye. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2006, 06:20 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Good or bad results from using vinyl dye.

I'm working on a 70 Mustang and the interior is blue. You cannot get the dash panel and armrest pads in blue only black Will the vinyl dye hold up?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2006, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

It will hold up on the dash.The arm rests may need to be redone in a few years if they see a lot of use. You would be better off to get some vinyl dye mixed at a paint store rather than using the rattle can stufff. Although i have used the can dye along with the vinyl primer that the resto catalogs sell and it looks good,just dont know how long it actually lasts. I have used Dupont for years on interior parts and it seems more durable. It seems to be all laquer based. l usually scuff the part with a scotchbrite pad to knock the gloss down, wipe down the part with laquer thinner(make sure it wont melt it by testing a little area first) to clean it and soften it up then, spray it.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:53 AM

Last photo:

use some bulldog adhesion promoter,makes dye stick very well.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

Rusty,
Just went out in garage and took picture of seat and door panel.
The blue is not showing good because of light and flash but ignore the ugliness and you will get the point.

The dark blue and the light blue on the seat had paint on it when I bought the car in 92, I washed off with reducer and the dark blue use dye on a rag
so I would not dye the threads. The light blue I spotted in about 4 inches with a touch up gun.
The complete door panel (Had paint on it) was taken apart and redyed at the same time again color is not showing up good.

As you can see almost 20,000 miles later both are still good.

I used the PPG dye and I like the SEM also, used a lot of both of them and think they are the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dye 004.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	9814   Click image for larger version

Name:	dye 002.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	9815  
Old 02-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Barry, did you see the vinyl paint (dye?) at NACE from Japan? The display had all kinds of wild custom painted seats, dashes, door panels, balls, clothes (!) all kinds of stuff. You could ball it up like tin foil and flatten it out without a crack. I have the name and brochure at home I'll post it when I get there.

Brian
Old 02-03-2006, 07:15 PM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

Used SEM on the roof of my 80 t-bird, has held up great for 4 years now and its always been parked outside.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:06 PM

Last photo:

Vinyl Dye

I would say that the biggest problem is the "wear" factor .MOST, not all, MOST good paint manufacturers have good quality vinyl dyes .But that's exactly what it is , a dye. Vinyl is MOLDED in color to prevent wear-thru problems . While most ANY good dye will change color , withstand flexing ,and or adhesion problems , I honestly don't know of ANY dye that will withstand repeated wear & tear over an extended period of time . Just my $.02 worth .
Old 02-04-2006, 10:36 PM

Last photo:

I'll tell you what, my brother had a '59 Chevy wagon back around 1975. It was a pretty nice car, Corvette Daytona yellow with a black interior. One day a seat or something was pulled out of it. On a spot that you couldn't see when it was installed was evidence that the seat was once green! We then started pulling back on the edge of the head liner and door panels looking for other signs of this green. The ENTIRE interior had been sprayed black and there where NO signs what so ever of wear.

I personally had a pair of 66ish GTO bucket seats in my Chevy pickup back in the seventies, one seat was black, the other was white (junk yard finds) and I sprayed the white one black. It was the drivers seat and I did a less than perfect prep I am sure. Other than some scratches from my comb, it never came off or rubbed thru either.

Now, I did spray my arm rests in my Gran Sport (again black)and the red was showing thru after a couple of years on my side. So, don't know, maybe one product is better, maybe I applied more on the trucks seat. Who knows.

Brian
Old 02-05-2006, 03:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Barry, did you see the vinyl paint (dye?) at NACE from Japan? The display had all kinds of wild custom painted seats, dashes, door panels, balls, clothes (!) all kinds of stuff. You could ball it up like tin foil and flatten it out without a crack. I have the name and brochure at home I'll post it when I get there.

Brian
I did not see that, would like to know name of company when you have a chance.
barry
Old 02-05-2006, 07:31 AM

Last photo:

Thank you. I think I will dye the dash pad and change the door panels to deluxe with built in armrests in blue. Will I be able to dye the black dash pad blue?
Old 02-05-2006, 07:54 AM

Last photo:

Sure you can, Rusty.

The big thing with dye is clean, clean and clean again.

Use interior prep, waterborne wax and grease remover, regular wax and grease remover.
I like to use both waterborne and regular wax and grease remover just to be safe.

Make sure the door panels don't require an adhesion promoter first, if hard plastic after market.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Autobodystore Owner

Last photo:

Prepping vinyl for dye

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty428cj
Thank you. I think I will dye the dash pad and change the door panels to deluxe with built in armrests in blue. Will I be able to dye the black dash pad blue?
Most dye manufacturers will also sell a prepping wash that will help insure that the color coat will bond well with the surface. Be sure not to skip this important step.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
I did not see that, would like to know name of company when you have a chance.
barry
In going thru my NACE goodies I am reminded that there were two companies with a similar product line. The one I am speaking about though was Japanese and it is "MagiQColors" teroson.co.jp
email at support@teroson.co.jp

The other was "Color Bond" from PA at Bryndana.com email Macolm@bryndana.com (Malcolm Johnson, president)

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.