Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - good beginner welder.
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2004, 04:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

My sons and I are beginners. They want to weld tube frames so we bought a Miller 180 SD TIG welder.

I am in the process of running 100 amp to my car garage. Since the house is rented I just split the service and put in a meter for billing purposes.

Need to find someone local to help me learn how to TIG weld. I understand I can also stick weld with this unit.

Anyone know anything about TIG welding or have any suggestions?

Dane
Wynnewood, PA
610-896-0217

I bought a tig attachment for a Sears sold stick arc welder years ago. My first project was repairing a cracked alum snowblower engine i'd bought at a govt auction ( I wondered why it went so cheap!). The tig kit cost about $300, new engine was $800. After about 30 minutes of fooling around with alum filler rod and gas pressure i'd fixed the substantial crack - AND built ribs inside the crankcase cover to prevent further cracking. It's about 12 to 15 yrs later..engine still runs fine - no further cracking or problems of any kind. Paid for tig kit with first job. Get some scrap and practice is my advice. IF you do not demand absolutely perfect appearance in the beads, reliable welds are obtainable. I"ve fixed numerous items since, including a magnesium chain saw. (it caught fire when i removed the tig head before it cooled enough not to ignite..*g*.. i put it out with the argon, and filled in the little place that had burned. Startled my customer though! One way to light up your shop. Take care.. TH