Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - good beginner welder.
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2004, 08:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Do you know if Sears still sells the TIG conversion kit? Can they be run on my AC stick welder or is AC/DC required? Sounds like a more economical way for us low budget guys to get TIG in the shop.

Tom

I don't know. I bought it about 12 yrs ago as i recall.. It amounted to a spark gap RF source (son't use if bowl games are on the tv..your neighbors will kill you..) , as well as a regulator, hose, and electrode holder that would clamp in the regular stick arc cable. I got tired of having 2 seperate boxes, so i took it apart and built contents of box into my sears stick arc machine. Added extra electrode jack to outside. Basically it puts a couple of turn high current winding on a toroid transformer in series with your electrode..to couple the high freq in to start the acc. I'll check and see if i can find it in their tool catalog. If not.. the manufacturer must be around somewhere.. It wouldn't be that hard to build up from scratch. A single frequency RF source would be more elegant. I'll see what i can find out.. i still have the box somewhere..might have mfg name on it..Lemme get bact 2 u on that..