Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - good beginner welder.
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004, 10:32 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I can't help but think that you could adapt a "Model T Ford spark coil (remember those) to generate the high voltage to initiate the arc on a normal stick arc welder. The welder transformer would probably appear a high impedance to the spark coil due to its high inductance, so you could capacitively couple the HV in parallel to the basic welder. The only tricky part would be to avoid breaking down the insulation of the basic welder with the HV. Spark coils are cheap tho.. and the Model T coils have their own vibrator built in. I haven't seen one for years on the market, but i'll bet that one of the antique auto parts places could turn one up. As i recall..the basic Model T had 4 of them per car..one per cylinder. Another option would be to put a home made transformer in series with the 'hot' lead from the stick arc machine (like the Sears adapter does) - and then couple the coil HV output into that. I think i'd use a series resistor (like a spark plug resistor) in series with the coil to limit output current. You can get across a ford coil directly..but it stings a bit.. (i've done it accidently while it was running).. Good Luck.. TH