good cheep welder - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 01:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

good cheep welder

I am looking at welding my spring perches to my axle 1/4. I don't wont to pay someone, might be the smartest thing. I hate paying someone or renting and then ending up needing the tool later. I have looked at the Lincoln 140 but geeeeeeeeeees. I have also looked at getting a stick but I think I would need atlest 220v and then that gets me back up in the money. I have a 220 plug in the garage but do not know if it works and the only thing I have to test it with is a screwdriver, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Are the one at pepboys just junk? What do I need to look for? I have a book already but it is pretty vague at best.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 01:57 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

the best thing to do would be to go down to your breaker box, make sure the breaker for that plug is on and check the amperage on the breaker, that will be the main thing for how big of a welder you could run, as far as testing it get a voltmeter or i think they make those little test lights in 220v versions. As far as a welder your going to want to get the biggest best welder you can afford, I'd recommend going with a MIG because it is more versatile than stick imo. I would also stay away from the off brand welders, do a search on here as I know brands of welders have been discussed before.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:17 PM

Last journal entry: time flies
Last photo:

i bought my welder from sears , it is made by clark. it is a 110 mig welder 400 $ mig converstion kit 60 $ gas bottle and haveing it filled 132 $ being able to do repairs myself PRICELESS ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol
Old 01-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I would buy a Lincoln 175 It is a real good machine,$600.00 at Lowe's.You will not be sorry.I have one,I have been welding for a long time.And if it broke today!!I would buy another one by tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Last photo:

1/4" weld is right on the limit of a MIG welder! welding anything from 1/8" up I'd suggest a stick welder. I have a Lincoln 225 "buzz box" Bought it brand new back in 76 and I have it to this day, NEVER let me down! They've been around awhile so finding a used one should be a big deal. NOW I'm not bad-mouthing a MIG welder, you welding 1/8" down then thats the way to go! AND it'll handle rusty metal too. But you need to get a good one, with gas tank ...not just the "fluxed wire" ones. So my guess is you'll pay more, then for the "Buzz-Box". "MOST" 220V plugs in the household are for dryers and they are rated for 30 AMPs ...most welding I've done on that type of circuit is fine, only when I've tried NICAD rod with alot of amps did it trip the breaker. Then all you do is re-set it ...no biggy. My $0.02 anyway, Good Luck!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

I have weld 1/2'' plate with my 220 Lincoln MIG welder,No problems at all.It will handle 1/2'' all day long.There is a place for stick,And when doing cars the MIG is a great machine.Not trying to get And a stick and MIG war here but it can weld almost as much as a stick any day.(with the right welder)

NOT A 110 WELDER!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:46 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

Cheap and good are mutually exclusive. A Lincoln 175 mig will do most any home welding job on a 30 amp circuit. Note that fluxcore welders are not MIG. A conversion kit is required to make a MIG out of a fluxcore.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

The Lincoln 175 comes able to do both.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:40 PM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

I have the Lincoln 175 mig also and had a 225 stick since 1978. It is a very good machine but for your welding needs on a car ,the mig 220volt is all you need. It will weld 1/2" steel with no problems. I am 50 and have been welding since I was 13. I build all my own cars, including whole frame from scratch and love my mig. I can't understand anybody saying it won't weld more than 1/8" metal unless they are talking about a 110 volt. Northern sells Clark at a fair price and my son in law bought one and has been very satisfied with it.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:10 PM

thank's

Thank's for all the info. I had no idea gas was that much. What about a battery and touching the wires. I kid.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:26 PM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

We rent bottles at a local welding supply and if you get set up with a mig you will not regret it. I am sure prices vary across the country but i think my rent is about $8.00 per month and about $18.00 to fill it and I get the small bottle and it lasts quite a while. I suggest you check in your area before you decide.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

I don't know how much gas is were you are,but I only pay about $30.00 dollars.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:15 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

one of each

I have an airco ac-dc with high frequency for tig that was used at the local college welding classes tig does not have foot amp control cost $ 200 used, I have lincoln sp 200 mig, it's about the size of a clothes dryer and weighs about 500 pounds welds good, we just have to use the backhoe to move it around... also and old lincoln gasoline with a v 4 wisconsin for field jobs The next buy will be a small tig with foot control for sheetmetal-body work.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:26 AM
My compass doesn't point North

Last photo:

Do you really want to drive a car that was sputtered, spit and buzzed together with a 110v Chinese battery charger?

Save some money and probably your butt and buy more welder than you think you'll need. Buy a Lincoln or a Miller.

I have a Lincoln Square Wave TIG. My picture is at "...Post a Picture of Yourself..." in another area.

Yes Paris, this does sound like I'm bragging and I don't mean to do that. A welder is a major investment. An investment you should only make once in a great while.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11echo
1/4" weld is right on the limit of a MIG welder! welding anything from 1/8" up I'd suggest a stick welder.

you welding 1/8" down then thats the way to go! AND it'll handle rusty metal too.

But you need to get a good one, with gas tank ...not just the "fluxed wire" ones.

when I've tried NICAD rod with alot of amps !

Actually there is no limit to the thickness of metal you can weld with a MIG, just as with stick welding when it gets past the thickness you would weld with one pass then multiple passes are required. I have spent the last 38 years welding a heck of a lot thicker than 1/8" with a MIG (over 14" thick in some cases). Now if you are attempting to weld a large piece 1" thick or so with .023 to .030 wire it might not be real practical due to the time it would take but it would weld it just fine if you have the Patience. 61 is right, not all wire feed welders are MIGs and if it is not set up for gas it is not a MIG it is a flux core welder.

NICAD rod, (Nickel Cadmium )? Do you mean a Nickel rod such as the Ni 55 or Ni 99?

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.