Hot Rod Forum banner

good deal on the bridgeport mill?

11K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  jss 
#1 ·
love to find one and this is around my area kinda

Bridgeport milling machine with new single phase motor 110/220, 9 x 42 inch table, R8 collett.
can get for 1200 bucks
what you think?

See less See more
#2 ·
Unless it is worn out, I would scarf it up faster than a snake strikes. Of course, if there is no tooling to go with it, you will spend at least that much to be able to do simple things. Personally, I like moving the table up and down vice the head. Check for excessive wear on the vertical table lands as well as screw wear on the table horizontal movement.

Trees

#7 ·
You're in Ontario? Ten bucks says I grab it first? (Just kidding, don't worry).

Depends what kind of quality you need.. I know McMaster sells them, but never bought anything from them.

If you're looking for hobby quality, which is what I use, just go down to your local Busy Bee.. They're cheap, they work.. my mill is small and snaps the bits anyways, so I'm not investing large sums of money in consumables. :D

#11 ·
I bought 5 Bridgepots new back in 1978 (10,000 dol. w/ basic tooling and 2 axis DRO) when I was starting up a new shop. I have since sold and retired and even though I replaced all the Bridgeports with CNC equipment , I kept all of them. I could possibly get a manual if you buy it. That is an older machine as it is not varable speed spindle. One of the best manual mills in the business. :thumbup: The mill can be set up w/ dro,dividing head, rotary table and horizontal cutting. A great machine that most rodders would love to own.

Weight- 2000 lb
Foot Pad- 3 ft x 5 ft
Height- 6 1/2 ft.

Don

#12 ·
You can get pretty much anything you need on line from either MSC or Enco. MSC is a little higher price. I use Enco for most of my needs, and have bought some big stuff from them too. Reasonable in both cost and quality. Great deal on the Bridgeport if the table is in good shape. Spindles are rebuildable.

#14 ·
JohnnyK81 said:
Man, you haven't been on eBay in awhile have you? :D
The trick is to stay away from the "buy-it-nows" and search "auctions only". I have recently bought a Niagara 1" rougher end mill for $8.92 with shipping and this was for a new end mill. Not long ago I bought four new OSG 5/8" and one 1/2" end mills for (with combined shipping from the same seller) less than $4 each. About six months ago I got two six flute OSG TiN 1 3/8" mills for less than $10 each and those things were over $125 each at MSC! :D

t

#17 ·
There are 4 speeds selectable by moving the drive belt. To get the additional 4 speeds, you switch internal gearing in the head to get the 8 speeds listed. Of course, these speeds may not be the same with the new motor, which may not be the same operating speed as the original. I missed the power feed attachment. Would be nice if it were working, but not a show stopper either way.

Trees

#18 ·
Notlad1 said:
I bought 5 Bridgepots new back in 1978 (10,000 dol. w/ basic tooling and 2 axis DRO) when I was starting up a new shop. I have since sold and retired and even though I replaced all the Bridgeports with CNC equipment , I kept all of them. I could possibly get a manual if you buy it. That is an older machine as it is not varable speed spindle. One of the best manual mills in the business. :thumbup: The mill can be set up w/ dro,dividing head, rotary table and horizontal cutting. A great machine that most rodders would love to own.

Weight- 2000 lb
Foot Pad- 3 ft x 5 ft
Height- 6 1/2 ft.

Don
3x5 just the base? huge eh

#19 · (Edited)
ok since I am a total dummie with milling machines I ask u to help me understand what to buy to allow me to use this

first thing is I dont understand if u look at the machine I want to buy is that the r8 collet?

forexample this kit
how does this

fit into this

I know the endmills go last but how does it secure to the bridgeport etc?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.