Good Drag Cars? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 03:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Good Drag Cars?

I am looking at getting into drag racing and am 16 years old. I currently drive a 2011 subaru legacy 2.5 that I could trade in for a new car which would give me about a 15-20 grand budget any ideas on cars? I would also like the car to have good handling.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,156 Times in 955 Posts
I learned long ago not to hot rod my daily driver. When you build a dual-purpose car, it cannot be the best at either purpose.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
I learned long ago not to hot rod my daily driver. When you build a dual-purpose car, it cannot be the best at either purpose.
X2 the man knows what he is talking about.

Cole
Old 05-03-2011, 04:53 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Very good advice. I'd either start saving up for an older car that needs work to be fast and keep the DD, or use the money towards a used modern but fast car and just leave it alone and enjoy it. $15-20k could easily put you in nice late model GTO, or Cobra or Mach 1 to name a few.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Another thing is racing can get real spendy real quick so something like someones used race car and get used to the rules and running is in order..

Sam
Old 05-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Time traveler stuck here...

Old ninety era mustang or camaro.and keep the subaru stock and stay easy on that one
Old 05-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,156 Times in 955 Posts
Commanderkewl, your handle reminds me of the Saturday morning serials at the movies when I was a kid. One of my favorites was good-guy Commander Cody. He wore a bullet-shaped helmet and had a jet-pack strapped to his back. Fond memories.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cody.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	54980   Click image for larger version

Name:	cody2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	54981  

Last edited by techinspector1; 05-03-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Last photo:

Quote:
techinspector1 Commanderkewl, your handle reminds me of the Saturday morning serials at the movies when I was a kid. One of my favorites was good-guy Commander Cody. He wore a bullet-shaped helmet and had a jet-pack strapped to his back. Fond memories.
CAREFUL techinspector1! ...Your age is showing!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Time traveler stuck here...

Lol I do remember the nic commander Cody ... Guys at work gave it to me years, decades ago.. Seemed spaceman fit too well with me to..

We had a job overseas and had some automated welding machines and heads on some really tight technical accessible areas.. In other words, if one went bad, a lot of pipes had to be cut and redone.. one chance only...timed programs for degree location.. We had laborers walking by and one of them stepped on a pendent while I started on a weld,, The only way to do this was with mirrors reflecting the arc from about two feet away.. Less than two inches of play between tubes , so seeing was really difficult.. The pendant that the laborer stepped on started the sequence, so I became committed to two welds simultaneously.. Clearances and access became doubly difficult all at once..

I grabbed both pendants , held one up, mirrored the status, did the same again...back and forth for about three minutes, sweat now pouring off my head as if I was a politician on the witness stand..(ok bad analogy).. Completed the welding, everyone on site was just like speechless...
Checked it out, did the NDE to clear.. all was good.. They went that was cool.. You are the commander.. And that's how I got the nic..

Company went on from barely making it to a decent sized corp before being bought out by the big boys..but I was always be the CommanderKewl.

I did always think the bullet helmet was kewl..
Old 05-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btown racer26
I am looking at getting into drag racing and am 16 years old. I currently drive a 2011 subaru legacy 2.5 that I could trade in for a new car which would give me about a 15-20 grand budget any ideas on cars? I would also like the car to have good handling.
You could trade it (plus some cash of course) for a WRX. They run pretty good.Or a supercharged mini cooper. They are pretty snappy too.I like both. Having driven many of them, I would say the wrx would be hard to beat, I like the euro feel and look of of the mini though, so it would be tough for me to choose.Having replaced pistons and valves in a few WRX motors due to valves letting go I would opt for the Mini. Dont know if there is a class for them in drag racing but if so, you may win for lack of competition.
Otherwise getan 80 s malibu wagon and build it to the hilt, keep the subie for parts fetchin like was said here ealier.

Last edited by latech; 05-04-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
You could trade it (plus some cash of course) for a WRX. They run pretty good.Or a supercharged mini cooper.
those have to be the 2 most unreliable cars on earth today.

keeps me employed tho.

i would suggest the Hyundai Genesis if you want something more reliable and priced fairly and goes around corners all in one package.
(trust me it hurts to say that and not mustang or camaro but Hyundai is a great car these days
Old 05-05-2011, 06:12 AM

Hot rod as a daily driver?

Don't do it. You need two vehicles, a real fire breathing rod knocker for a hot rod and a utilitary daily driver that it good on gas, reliable and easy, cheap to repair with road reliability to the point where you can jump in it, turn the key and drive across the country. Preferably a smaller truck so you can drive parts to the machine shop, go to swap meets, ETC. leave the truck stock so it starts and drives good, after-all you need a way to get to work, possibly a third vehicle, a enduro (dual sport) bike. Fun, reliable well built, fantastic great fuel mileage, (chicks love em). The money you save in fuel will be enough to buy the parts for the hot rod.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:32 AM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

All depends on how fast you want to go and do you want to win a lot of rounds or just go have fun. I built a 350 for a guy that had a 78-80 monte carlo. He was track champ in a street class the frist year out.Drag racing is 1/4 car 1/4 driver and 50% luck.Pick a car thats cheap and that you can find lots of hp parts at swap meets for.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swvalcon
All depends on how fast you want to go and do you want to win a lot of rounds or just go have fun. I built a 350 for a guy that had a 78-80 monte carlo. He was track champ in a street class the frist year out.Drag racing is 1/4 car 1/4 driver and 50% luck.Pick a car thats cheap and that you can find lots of hp parts at swap meets for.
The G in G body stands for geat.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by btown racer26
Just like everyone else said.... Get a DD and a project car.. I have spent countless nights helping friends all night getting their car up and running so they have a way to go to work in the morning cause they modified something and it broke. and good handling and drag racing can be two different things... suspension setups are usually very different and don't go hand in hand... IRS are very expensive to get to hold power but are great for handling where a full axle rearend is better for drag racing but not handling... depends how extreme you want to go i guess....

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.