Good Electric fan(s) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013, 07:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Good Electric fan(s)

ok so heres my issue my twin turbo iroc will stay at 165* while idling all day long with both fans running , the minute i start driving it it will reach about 215 which is to hot for my taste.

on all my turbo cars i like to keep the engine right around 180-185* while cruising at the dragstrip this will usually end up around 210* at the end of a pass

i believe my biggest issue right now is that i have a 4 inch thick inter cooler core mounted in the nose of the car restricting what airflow i would normally get threw the rad at speed.i also believe the factory fans don't pull enough air, unfortunately i don't know how much air they actually move.

ive tried everything from 160-180-195* thermostats , ive tried no thermostat, ive tried restrictions as well to try to slow down the water flow, the results are always the same at speed

can anyone suggest a aftermarket fan or fans that would be better then the stock 3rd generation dual fans ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 07:28 PM

the regular fans generally pull enough for a standard engine and perhaps slight upgrades,

do you have a hood scoop or any type of cowl hood
Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prumora1 View Post
the regular fans generally pull enough for a standard engine and perhaps slight upgrades,

do you have a hood scoop or any type of cowl hood
no i dont, im actually changing out the iroc hood for a flat base/rs model hood to go with the whole sleeper theme

the only other thing i can think of is to try wraping the turbo headers/downpipes and see if it makes the car run any cooler , but i dont think wraping up the headers/downpipes are going to make enough of a difference
Old 05-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Yeah, I would be thinkin' that there just is not enough air available. Have you thought about re-positioning the aftercooler in the rear of the car, pulling air from under the car?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Yeah, I would be thinkin' that there just is not enough air available. Have you thought about re-positioning the aftercooler in the rear of the car, pulling air from under the car?

that would be a plumbing nightmare, im going to try sealing off the nose by building some ductwork form the opening in the nose of the car around the intercooler and radiator and see if it helps. this should force all the air to go threw the intercooler and radiator instead of around it
Old 05-29-2013, 05:49 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

A third gen Camaro has to have the airdam in place under the front or you wonīt get air circulating into the rad while moving.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:32 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc View Post
A third gen Camaro has to have the airdam in place under the front or you wonīt get air circulating into the rad while moving.
was the first thing i checked mine has the airdam and its in good shape
Old 05-29-2013, 07:52 AM

what we have done before is to remove or cut out the inner fenders and either put your intercoolers at that location with pull through fans or put fans them self at those locations.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

got some ideas from the guys over on thirdgen.org. my intercooler is mounted 2 inches ahead of the radiator behind the front crash bar. its been suggested that i remove the front bumper cover and notch the crashbar to fit the intercooler infront of it. this will push the intercooler right into the opening of the front bumber cover and give 7-10 inches of space from the rear of the intercooler to the radiator.

i dont know if this will allow more air to flow threw it but it should deff allow to car to pick up more air undernieth to go threw the radiator, as right now there is only about 1.5-2 inches on the botom opening for air to get past the bottom of the intercooler

or i can try to push the bottom side of the intercooler twards the front of the car effectively mounting it on a 45* or so angle in the nose.
ill prolly try that first and see what happens
Old 05-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Booty Time, Across the USA

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

If you are running more boost from your system, you will noticed a lot more heat.

On my integra the smaller pulley caused incredible operating temperatures.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Iīve just made a new dual fan setup with a thinner fan shroud on a Jegīs aluminum radiator.
The fans are 12" Flex-a-lite Trimline Electric Fans 112which are the bigest side by side I could fit.
I did try an 18" fan but it failed miserably.
I thought about a 12" with two 9" but you just canīt package them onto the area of the shroud.
My setup does leave areas without through airflow so I split the shroud down the middle with a divider on the rad side to increase the fanīs "suck".
Shroud is 30mm deep.

This is my previous deep fan shroud setup, I went to thin because here I have no comfortable access to the front of the motor.It was a pig to make as well,
you have to get around the lower hose and steering box.
The idea was the fans could suck from all corners of the rad, the thin one does the job just as well.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.