Hot Rod Forum banner

good fitting bucket seats for '57 pickup

11K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Houston54 
#1 ·
I need to replace the original bench seat in my 57 Chevy pickup. What are good suggestions for fit and installation in my '57?
Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
You haven't received any replies here, so I'm going to add General Rodding Tech to the mix. Basically, all you need to do is find a seat , or seats that fit in your truck. Any seat will do, as long as it isn't too big front to back or side to side.

I think there is a misconception going around that there are specific seats that will fit perfectly into whatever vehicle you have. This is not the case. None of the car manufacturers make their own seats, and never have except very early on in the history of cars. A seat for a 1970 Olds Cutlass will probably (and does) fit in many cars, newer and older than the car it came out of. All you need to do is go to the salvage yard and measure to see if the seat you have found will fit in your vehicle. Naturally, seats that come out of a larger car will only fit into larger vehicles. So......a set of seats that come out of a Lincoln Town Car will probably not work in your truck, but they may fit into dozens of other vehicles.

At some point, common sense has to take over here. Go to the salvage yard and measure. If there's enough room, the seat will work in your vehicle. I'm not trying to criticize anybody, just trying to simplify this process for everyone.

Dan

#3 ·
I'm sure he thought like I did that someone out of this 70k+ membership would have built one of these trucks and know of a few seats that might work well for him. Perhaps to save a little time measuring forty sets of seats in a wrecking yard?
I guess common sense doesn't kick in at the same time for everyone.
More rudeness from a moderator. What a joyous site this is, for those with common sense of course.

#4 ·
cares said:
I need to replace the original bench seat in my 57 Chevy pickup. What are good suggestions for fit and installation in my '57?
Thanks
I'm in the middle of a tri-5 truck build, so I've been looking too. I've seen all sorts of buckets used in these trucks, foreign and domestic. The latest (October 2008) Classic Trucks mag features 2 tri-5's. One has Nissan buckets, the other has 96 Honda buckets. I've seen them with late model Camaro, Mustang, PT Cruiser seats too, among others. Just find seats that are comfy for you, almost any bucket will fit in these cabs. I happen to like ones without headrests. Seeing the headrests through the rear window looks out of place to me. That's just my weirdness though I spose.

Antny

#5 ·
I measured alot of bench seats for my 57 truck and the one i liked the best and fits great is from a plymouth reliant (dodge aries, chrysler lebaron-k cars) lots of them in salvage yards in good shape and cheeeep! You can use 88-93 chevy truck 60-40 split bench i have seen them in some of our trucks but they go from door handle to door handle, to long for my likes but to each his own that what makes this hobby great. hope this helps.
david

#6 ·
Look at Jeep Cherokee seats or some from a S10-Blazer..Ford Rangers had buckets as an option also Toyota did as well..Most car seats will need to have risers installed under the seat tracks to get them high enough to work in the pickup..I would not turn away a good deal on some Ford Focus seats tho because of that..

Bottom line look for seat from small or midsize vehicles and get out and look around as one never knows when a good deal may turn up..

Sam

#7 ·
justdig said:
I'm sure he thought like I did that someone out of this 70k+ membership would have built one of these trucks and know of a few seats that might work well for him. Perhaps to save a little time measuring forty sets of seats in a wrecking yard?
I guess common sense doesn't kick in at the same time for everyone.
More rudeness from a moderator. What a joyous site this is, for those with common sense of course.
You make a good point in your first sentence. I wasn't trying to be rude. I was only trying to point out that there are probably forty seats that will work in his truck and not limit him to looking for any one specific seat. If my answer came across as rude, I apologize.

#8 ·
DanTwoLakes said:
You make a good point in your first sentence. I wasn't trying to be rude. I was only trying to point out that there are probably forty seats that will work in his truck and not limit him to looking for any one specific seat. If my answer came across as rude, I apologize.
Sorry for snapping. I forget sometimes you can't see the persons facial expression or hear the tone of their voice when you're reading something online.
Looks like some people gave him some things to look for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.