Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Good intake?
Thread: Good intake?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 12:41 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
I agree with Vinnie, the motor needs ignition timing way more than it needs a different manifold. I think he's suggesting 20 degrees at the crank and I agree. You'll need to limit centrifugal advance to about 16, so that you have no more than about 36 total, all in by 2800 rpm's.

The problem that a lot of you fellows are running into is that the harmonic dampers are not telling you the truth, so what you think the timing is, it is not. Please read through this tutorial to understand how to verify Top Dead Center of the piston and match it with the TDC mark on your damper.....
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...op_dead_center
You suggested yesterday, that if I go to high I could ruin the rings. So While at the parts store tomorrow I will get some timing tape.. With the stock springs being in the gm hei, what is the average centrifugal advance on these, or does that vary? And what is absolute way to high total timing, if I end up going above 36? Or is 36 it? I talked to a guy at a shop about this probably a month ago, he did tell me to focus more on total than initial. But sadly forgot all of his tips, being I read WAY to much.

Also, another noob question, when finding the total, do I keep the vacuum advance unhooked and plugged?Any other tips, please tell me.. lol

Also, it was at tdc as of when it was dropped in. Again, it may have a 1000 miles tops.. Had a brand new balancer on it

Sorry for the lack of knowledge. But, name another kid my age learning all of this