good metal cutting band saw? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2004, 07:35 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

good metal cutting band saw?

Anybody got a good, not too expensive, metal cutting band saw they want to recommend? Northern Tool has a 3/4 horse, liquid cooled, hydraulic feed, auto-stop unit for $599. Then there is a Rand unit on ebay for $150. No liquid cooling but does have 3/4 horse motor and auto stop. This saw would get limited use in my shop - but probably lots of cuts during those times it is being used. That Rand might do the trick but I don't know anything about the mfr. Any opinions?

Dewey
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2004, 09:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I use my 14" wood cutting band saw with a medium fine blade for aluminum and brass and my Harbor Freight power hacksaw stood upright with the optional bandsaw table attached for steel. Can't quite justify a nice big dedicated steel cutting band saw for my occasional hobby use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2004, 03:25 PM

Bandsaw

Dewey,

I just recently purchased a harbor freight unit for sale at there store. It was the 1 hp horizontal/vertical metal cutting bandsaw their model # is 37151-7vga. Check there website as there prices do change (harborfreight.com). I was a bit unsure as to purchase this saw but someone linked me to a web site for owners of this saw and it seemed like there were a bunch of satisfied people so I took a chance. Lucky for me we were visiting friends in Pennsylvania and the store was minutes away and was on sale for cheaper than in the catalog. I myself could not be more happy. Hope this helps.

Anthony
Old 09-11-2004, 05:31 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the tip on the H.F. saw Anthony. Does that have an auto-stop when sawing in the horizontal position so it can be left on it's own to make the cut?
Old 09-11-2004, 06:36 PM

Auto shut-off

Dewey,

It does have an auto shut off , but everyone calls me a nervous nelly so I stay untill the cut is finished. The auto stop had to adjusted to work properly and it also has a tension screw to adjust the feed a bit crude but for that price I can live with it.

Anthony
Old 09-11-2004, 10:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Re: Bandsaw

Quote:
Originally posted by qctech
Dewey,

I just recently purchased a harbor freight unit for sale at there store. It was the 1 hp horizontal/vertical metal cutting bandsaw their model # is 37151-7vga. Check there website as there prices do change (harborfreight.com). I was a bit unsure as to purchase this saw but someone linked me to a web site for owners of this saw and it seemed like there were a bunch of satisfied people so I took a chance. Lucky for me we were visiting friends in Pennsylvania and the store was minutes away and was on sale for cheaper than in the catalog. I myself could not be more happy. Hope this helps.

Anthony
That's the saw I have. Have been using it for over 10 years and have cut many hundred yards of material and it is still going strong.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

I found a Harbor Freight outlet store down in Milwaukee this weekend when I was down there for a show. They had that model saw for $149. Would have bought it but the box would not fit in the bed of my '32. So I'll have to take another trip down there with the Rav4 to pick it up (plus about 5 other good size tools I discovered that I REALLY needed - that store should be illegal).

One question, does the attachable table (for vertical position) come with the unit or do you buy that as a separate option. The floor model they had out didn't have a table with it and I neglected to ask the salesman.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Table comes with it. Think how I feel - my HF store is only 4 miles from my house and i must drive by it every day going to and from work. I keep threatening to have a conveyor belt installed from the store to my house with directions to the store to keep the belt full and moving!

Important tip; the base as it comes from the factory is crap. Toss the cheapo assembly bolts in favor of good grade 5s with Nylock nuts. Also add two 1" x 1/8" X-braces on both sides from the cast iron saw body down to the opposite sheet metal base near the floor. These two mods make it bullet proof.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by willys36@aol.com
Important tip; the base as it comes from the factory is crap. Toss the cheapo assembly bolts in favor of good grade 5s with Nylock nuts. Also add two 1" x 1/8" X-braces on both sides from the cast iron saw body down to the opposite sheet metal base near the floor. These two mods make it bullet proof.
Thanks for the heads up Willys. I'll do it. I don't know about rigging up a conveyor belt to my HF store since it is 275 miles away, but I might as well just permanently turn my Visa card over to the cashier. When I got home yesterday and started reading my wife the list of new tools I HAD to have...she just left the room.

Bad Harbor Freight. Bad store! Bad store!
Old 09-14-2004, 07:47 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by cboy
Thanks for the heads up Willys. I'll do it. I don't know about rigging up a conveyor belt to my HF store since it is 275 miles away, but I might as well just permanently turn my Visa card over to the cashier. When I got home yesterday and started reading my wife the list of new tools I HAD to have...she just left the room.

Bad Harbor Freight. Bad store! Bad store!
You have a fighting chance being 275mi away - until you figure out they have free shipping - then you are back in trouble!
Old 09-15-2004, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by willys36@aol.com
You have a fighting chance being 275mi away - until you figure out they have free shipping - then you are back in trouble!
Willys, you are going to be the downfall of my marriage. You are absolutely right, no shipping on orders of more than $50. We don't need no stinkin' conveyor belt...they plot it right on your doorstep for free.

Ya learn something new (about going broke) every day.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.