Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - good news___bad news ( flexplate & quadrajet )
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 06:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROYDOZOIS View Post
(GOOD NEWS)so i got the truck back last night, and turns out my flexplate was cracked in 3 spots, which explains the horrible grinding noise when it would hit the starter. our buddy replaced it and now i just need to reshim the starter a little to make things perfect.

(BAD NEWS) i took advantage of the cooler monsoon weather last night and swapped carbs on the truck, i put the quadrajet back on and hooked everything up like i always do. started it up and it ran like a sick cat( nothing changed since last time )

so i waited till this morning( light ) and started it again, same thing, adjusted the mixture needles like to where they were long ago ( 6.5 turns out ) and it still didnt do much.

went to work and when i came home, i dug the timing light out and fired it up once again. 12* base timing, hooked up the vac adv and it revved up ( yaay ) so i was able to lower the idle speed quite a bit...

got it to idle down to 800 rpm and its still off the charts lean... looked at the idle screw and its1/8th inch from the tab on the throttle shaft... tried to rotate the shaft closed and the butterflies are closed... so ive finally gotten stumped, i have no idea what to do. my next move might be taking it to a guy here in my town that my buddy referred me to, hes an older gent and apparently hes super nice and helpful.

thankyou all for the help guys, i cant thankyou all enough =]
Old Q-Jets often wear out the throttle shaft bore in the housing and pull enough air to idle on right around the shaft(s). The solution is to put brass bushings in there to restore the proper shaft to bearing surface clearance.

Bogie
The Following User Says Thank You to oldbogie For This Useful Post:
LEROYDOZOIS (09-10-2012)