Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - good news___bad news ( flexplate & quadrajet )
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 11:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
How are you determining the lean condition, lets hope not plugs. My qjet is one of the best carbs ever used. The idle screw is not touching the tab but the carb stays at 800rpm. Was a drill taken to the idle bleeds or idle ports, that would keep it running high. Is the choke operational. If not you could remove the choke linkage rod to check if it would baseline hot. 6-7 turns out is not the baseline.

my determination of the lean afr is with my afr meter.
my idle bleeds havent been touched. i drilled out my new idle tubes to .042 like how my old ones were.

--------------------------------------------------------------

and as an update to my original post.

i took the carb off to put the 1406 back on so its not a dead vehicle, and noticed the throttle body plate was dangerously loose, and i assume with new gaskets i didnt tighten them enough to make up for the give of the gaskets.

ill put it back on tomorrow morning and see if that was my problem. i swear i heard the noise as if a vacuum hose were disconnected. i assumed it was the air flowing through the primaries.