Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - A GOOD Portable tool kit???
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 12:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You could always do what I did - assemble your own road/junkyard kit:

- Set of double open-end wrenches (1/4" - 1" and metric equivalent)
- 3/8" ratchet (Husky flexible-type)
- 3/8" breaker bar
- 10" 3/8" extension with built-in swivel
- Small kit of sockets (Craftsman. Has 1/4" and 3/8" up to 3/4" and metric equiv. in 6 and 12-point)
- set of socket adapters
- One each standard and phillips screwdrivers (long-style)
- Screwdriver kit with replaceable tips (Companion and Workforce both have a nice 40-piece set that comes in a plastic box)
- Ratchet attachment for 1/4" screwdriver bits
- Nutdrivers, 5 ea of standard and metric
- Allen wrench set (will be replacing this with the "swiss-army knife" folding style eventually)
- Folding set of torx wrenches (T10 - T50)
- Allen and Torx wrench sets that fits on a 3/8" ratchet
- Cold chisel / long punch
- 3 lb ball-peen hammer
- 8" Linesman pliers
- 6" wire cutters
- 10" Channel-locks
- Hack-saw blade holder and some 32-TPI blades
- 10" pry-bar
- Folding utility knife
- Canvas sack with handles (for any loot I find)

. . . I think that's everything . . .

That right there is my standard load-out for whenever I go to the junkyard. Everything fits neatly into an old canvas backpack of mine - wrenches on the bottom, socket set in the middle of my back, long stuff off to the side, small stuff in the smaller pocket in front. This usually covers anything I run into that I might find interesting - if not, I'll be back with the necessary equipment (Fer instance, lately I've had a 0-1" and a 1-2" micrometer, with a 6" dial caliper thrown in as well). Once I get some others things finalized (I want to make a better backpack first), I'll also be including a 1/2" breaker bar, set of drill bits and a breast drill (ratcheting Yankee #1555).

Oh yea, a bottle or three of Gatorade as well. Planning on making a bottle holder that I'll be able to strap to my leg for a totally hands-free experience .

- Mike