Hot Rod Forum banner

Good price for 12 bolt?

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  johnnya 
#1 ·
Im working on my 71 Chevelle as fast as money will allow me to and I need to make the rear end stronger.
It currently has a 8.2 open diff 3.08 gearset in it now and I dont want to spend the money upgrading that one because it is so weak.
I found a nice 12 bolt setup for $300 complete drum to drum it is however a non-posi unit.
I want this car to have a 3.73posi rear end. A buddy at work suggested I forget about this one and try to find one with everything I want.
Unfortunately the price of 12 bolts has gone through the roof.
So i figure if I shop arround e-bay and get some new/good condition used parts I will be able to save a few bucks and build a nice 12 bolt with everything I want for under 1k.

So what do you think, is $300 bux sound good for a complete open differential 12 bolt that is going to be converted to a 3.73 posi?

#2 ·
i think $300.00 is right in the ball park for what you want to do. i got mine for $100.00 , but it was missing the bearing caps. so after $85.00 for aftermarket caps and $95.00 for the machining mork , i was right about where you are at. i went with a new posi unit , gear and bearing kit and ended up with about $1200.00 into mine including labor. so if you find some good deals on new or used parts , and or , are doing the build yourself , you should be able to come close to your $1000.00 goal. good luck.

#6 ·
Mighty Mouse S-10 said:
I have a 12 bolt 373 with everything but the shock mounts from a 1970 chevy pickup in the yard I need to get rid of. I don't know if its the right for your application, but if you think you can use it PM me. :mwink: It's about 58" flange to flange.

Dave
I gave mine away. Truck 12-bolts are $0.10/doz...it is the car ones that are hard to come by.

#8 ·
I have a good used 12 bolt carrier and a virtually new set of Richmond 3.73 gears. I also have a set of GM 4.10 gears. both have been installed and used on the carrier I have. I changed from the 4.10's to the 3.73's, then I wanted higher gears, so I bought a new carrier and a set of 3.42's. The carrier was working perfectly well, but the clutches are probably worn. I would be willing to make you a good deal on the carrier and either set of gears. The 3.73's are on the carrier now. If you're interested, email me at: jadkins33@comcast.net
Johnny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.