Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Good quality clear for a resonable price? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/good-quality-clear-resonable-price-229444.html)

bottlefed55gasser 02-11-2013 02:47 PM

Good quality clear for a resonable price?

Any suggestions guy? Any opinions on the shopline euro clear?

302 Z28 02-11-2013 03:03 PM

Cannot beat SPI Universal clear for the price.

Vince

swvalcon 02-11-2013 04:02 PM

Check with Spi on their production clear. You can't beat it and price is about the best I have found, If you want to spend a little more go with the universal clear best clear you can get.

bottlefed55gasser 02-11-2013 04:20 PM

Never heard of it, I gotta check this out!

Mad Tiki Customs 02-11-2013 06:16 PM

Never heard of it either. I have always used PPG, or Duponts Chroma line of clears.
I have recently heard of someone who swears by Transtar. I personally havent used it, but the person recommending it swears by it, and has been using it for quite a few years. Ive seen the finished product fresh out of the booth and was impressed with the gloss and how well it layed down.
So much so, that i'm trying it on a current clients project.
[ only after receiving his blessing on using it of course ]:D

mitmaks 02-11-2013 06:26 PM

I've had good results with Sherwin Williams clear coat.

Mad Tiki Customs 02-11-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitmaks (Post 1645293)

I used Sherwinn a few times. It lays nice and has a great gloss. Its like trying to sand a diamond though! Really not user friendly to color sand and polish. The other thing I dont like about the Sherwinn line of paints is that they have a wax base in them. this means that if you get a little speck on your base coat and decide to sand it, then recoat the area, you have a pretty good chance of the paint lifting in that spot. The sanding actually makes the paint almost slick like. The other thing is the blending. You have to almost flick your wrist with a small quick snap of the wrist in order for it to blend properly.
I will give one piece of advice on another brand of paint. Matrix. DO NOT USE THEM!!!! Matrix SUX!!!! I have had nothing but issues with their product. Its almost impossible to blend, the clear does not lay well, and actually settles a bit after it is sprayed. This makes it challenging trying to get it wet without running it.

bottlefed55gasser 02-11-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitmaks (Post 1645293)

Gonna try some Sherwin Williams on my dad's 68 camaro, should be painted in the next few weeks I'll post picks when it's done.

bottlefed55gasser 02-11-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Tiki Customs (Post 1645286)
Never heard of it either. I have always used PPG, or Duponts Chroma line of clears.
I have recently heard of someone who swears by Transtar. I personally havent used it, but the person recommending it swears by it, and has been using it for quite a few years. Ive seen the finished product fresh out of the booth and was impressed with the gloss and how well it layed down.
So much so, that i'm trying it on a current clients project.
[ only after receiving his blessing on using it of course ]:D

I really love ppg's deltron, awesome stuff! Kinda pricey though. Transtar is pretty good I usedit a few times. For the price you really can't beat it. And if you know someone that works at O'Reillys that can get you there employee discount you can get some of there nest clear for 100-125 bucks.

mitmaks 02-11-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Tiki Customs (Post 1645321)
I used Sherwinn a few times. It lays nice and has a great gloss. Its like trying to sand a diamond though! Really not user friendly to color sand and polish. The other thing I dont like about the Sherwinn line of paints is that they have a wax base in them. this means that if you get a little speck on your base coat and decide to sand it, then recoat the area, you have a pretty good chance of the paint lifting in that spot. The sanding actually makes the paint almost slick like. The other thing is the blending. You have to almost flick your wrist with a small quick snap of the wrist in order for it to blend properly.
I will give one piece of advice on another brand of paint. Matrix. DO NOT USE THEM!!!! Matrix SUX!!!! I have had nothing but issues with their product. Its almost impossible to blend, the clear does not lay well, and actually settles a bit after it is sprayed. This makes it challenging trying to get it wet without running it.

OP is talking about clear not paint. Most clears sand good within 2 days after clearing. Now if you wait a month, most clears are like a diamond.

da34guy 02-12-2013 05:29 AM

SPI sands easy either 2 days or 30 days, best I've used in 45 years of doin this..

swvalcon 02-12-2013 06:45 AM

Had a local freind with a small body shop. Tried to get him try use some Spi even gave him a quart. Finally one day his painter was doing a rear bumper and he put the spi on for the clear. The guy asked him how he liked it and {I've used a lot of clears but thats the best stuff I've ever used} Now that all the use.

MadTikiCustoms 02-12-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitmaks (Post 1645372)
OP is talking about clear not paint. Most clears sand good within 2 days after clearing. Now if you wait a month, most clears are like a diamond.

Sorry, but your statement of "most clears sand good within 2 days" is very inaccurate. The Dupont line of paints, and their sister brand Nason are extremely hard drying clears even after only two days It is a ***** to sand and polish.
PPG's paints on the other hand are a bit softer and easier to sand and polish after a few days. If the OP wants a quality clear with ease of use to spray and cut and polish, good reputation, and warranty, PPG, and Spies Hecker is the way to go. Spies is way expensive but thats why European cars look so much better than the cottage cheese orange peal of American cars. Especially Chrysler cars. They have the worst orange peal of the bunch.

MadTikiCustoms 02-12-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitmaks (Post 1645372)

I actually talked about paint AND clear in my statement :rolleyes:

33Willys77 02-12-2013 07:27 AM

I have high quality results with base and clear by Wanda. The price is amazing and the quality is very high.