is this good ratchet? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2005, 02:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

is this good ratchet?

is the Craftsman 3/8 in. Drive Ratchet, Quick-Release Stubby Flex good?
would you recommend it?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

It's a good Weekend warrior ratchet. If your going to use it every day I would step up and buy a Matco, Snap On or Mac.

Steve
Old 09-20-2005, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

does snap-on sells a stubby flex ratchet?
Old 09-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

I wouldn't give you $.10 for a Craftsman. I have replaced mine more than I care to think. When you are wrenching away with one the damn things will slip a tooth or reverse itself. I have replaced mine three times and the last time I replaced my 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" and the salesman and I went thru 3 sets of each before I found a set that might work. That combined with the fact I was getting tired of going through them to find a halfway decent one. One way to check is take the ratchet, grab the part that goes into the socket between your thumb and finger and give it a few quick spins. See if it goes into neutral or reverses. If it does it will also reverse while wrenching. I have a Proto ratchet that when it is in gear it stays in gear. Shop around and get a good one. Nothing worse than being twisted around like a contortionist trying to tighten or loosen something and the damn ratchet has a mind of its own as to which direction it wants to go in.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:59 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 steve
It's a good Weekend warrior ratchet. If your going to use it every day I would step up and buy a Matco, Snap On or Mac.

Steve
I agree with this, I was using my craftsman ratchet at home and it was ok but when i started out here at school wrenching all day basically, i stepped up and bought a snap on and it was the best decision i ever made.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:19 PM
Chevy!!

Last journal entry: The project begins
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
I wouldn't give you $.10 for a Craftsman. I have replaced mine more than I care to think. When you are wrenching away with one the damn things will slip a tooth or reverse itself. I have replaced mine three times and the last time I replaced my 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" and the salesman and I went thru 3 sets of each before I found a set that might work. That combined with the fact I was getting tired of going through them to find a halfway decent one. One way to check is take the ratchet, grab the part that goes into the socket between your thumb and finger and give it a few quick spins. See if it goes into neutral or reverses. If it does it will also reverse while wrenching. I have a Proto ratchet that when it is in gear it stays in gear. Shop around and get a good one. Nothing worse than being twisted around like a contortionist trying to tighten or loosen something and the damn ratchet has a mind of its own as to which direction it wants to go in.

i thought craftsmen had a lifetime warrenty or something like that
Old 02-23-2009, 09:19 AM

Last photo:

does snap-on sells a stubby flex ratchet?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Kroener
i thought craftsmen had a lifetime warrenty or something like that
How many trips to Sears are you willing to make?

Craftsman ratchets do have the tendency to reverse and slip, I hate them. I would use a cheapo H. Freight before a Craftsman ratchet. Bust a knuckle or 3 and you will understand.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:08 AM

is this a good ratchet?

Sears sells some good wrenches and ratchets. I personally do not like the flex ratchet any body sells. If your hands are greasy and the ratchet is not in a straight line you have a tendency to flex the handle and OUCH!!! 2cts worth. Having said that Sears has a great warranty and easy to find,cheaper than S O.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Did you ever wonder?

Last journal entry: Got it moving under its own power
Last photo:

I used to not like flexible ratchets until my brother turned me onto the SO locking Flex heads. Greatness. I love them.
1/4" Locking Flex Head
3/8" Locking Flex Head

Nothing better that I have used if you need flex head though I have seen other manufacturers, just not used them.

Rich
Old 03-03-2009, 11:09 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

To answer a question, Yes, Snap on does sell stubby ratchets. There are several on eBay now. Expensive.

I ended up several times under warranty replacing my "utility" Craftsman 3/8" and more times then I ever want to think about replacing the 1/4" ratchets. I convinced the sales guy the last time to give me a brand new top of their line ratchet in each size - but I still prefer my 30+ year old S-K ratchets, 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4. None of these have EVER failed even with cheater bars

Flex heads - have 'em, hate 'em. I've broken too many spark plugs, bolts and dripped too much blood from doing that.

Dave W
Old 03-03-2009, 12:24 PM

Last photo:

It seems that whenever the Craftsman name comes up it is always the same thing, "they will replace them no questions asked". If warranty is to be the scale by which a tool is judged then how often you will need to use this warranty is what counts not how easy it is to exchange a tool and in this regard Craftsman does not do so well.

Ireland, I know what you mean by that 1/4" ratchet being replaced so often because I had a Craftsman 1/4" set, I bet yours twisted off right at the socket right? I exchanged that thing several times because it took no effort at all to break it and this was the better fine tooth model which has apparently been discontinued because I was told they could only replace it with the standard model, which has faired no better. When I still worked on heavy equipment I saw more than one new guy go to Sears for his "starter" tool set but in every case it did not take them long to see why Snap-On and S@K were so popular, admittedly these tools took a terrible beating but the Snap-On and S@k held up just fine while the Craftsman sockets and ratchets did not do well at all. The 3/4" drive Craftsman tools did do somewhat better but the more common 1/2" drive and smaller were terrible.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:59 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred

Ireland, I know what you mean by that 1/4" ratchet being replaced so often because I had a Craftsman 1/4" set, I bet yours twisted off right at the socket right? more common 1/2"
That was one of the failures of the 1/4", but most were just plain stripping the internals - which meant some more of that sticky red stuff leaking out of finger knuckles each time. One of the 3/8" ratchets came apart in my hand the first time I used it - others - stripped and of course, another leaky knuckle every time. 99% of the time, my 3/8" S-K winds up in my hand. 1/2", 100% of the time as the only non-S-K ratchet is in my 'traveling' toolbox.

I have to say - my single S-K 3/8" was rebuilt once after it wore out after about 20 years. My two S-K 1/2" - never and one is as old as the 3/8 ---- and that's old !!

Do I still use the Craftsman ratchets - yeah, but not doing anything heavy. They do feel good to my touch, regardless ....... and I have more then enough tools that a special trip to Sears is never needed. The broken one, it just gets put in the truck for "someday".

Dave W
Old 03-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

I have a Proto that I use quite often and like it. I still hate the Craftsman ratchets. Now if you have one go bad, they either give you a rebuild kit or a rebuilt ratchet. Some are even stamped as rebuilt which I do not want. If they are out of both, they might and I emphasize "might" give you a new one in return. The next time one breaks, it goes to the trash.
At work I have a couple of ratchets that I picked up at Menards, and for a cheap ratchet, they have held up way better than the Craftsman ratchets. I repair and build dies all day long so they do get some abuse. I also have seen that Advance Auto has gotten rid of all of their Ampro tools and replaced them with Gearwrench brand, so I may get on of those ratchets to see how they pan out. And lately I have been picking up some Kobalt items. For the money, I think they are better than Craftsman.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:40 PM

If It is Not a Snap on Or a Mac Don't waste your time I like my fingers to much

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.