Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   A Good set of HYD Roller Lifters that can rev to 7000rpm (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/good-set-hyd-roller-lifters-can-rev-7000rpm-224648.html)

desmosis10 10-03-2012 09:57 PM

A Good set of HYD Roller Lifters that can rev to 7000rpm
 
I looking for a Great set of Retrofit HYD Roller Lifters that can rev close to or to 7000rpm.
I'm using the AFR1103 heads 210cc competition heads I swapped the 710 solid roller springs for the AFR#8019 hyd roller 650 lift springs.

I really appreciate the advice if u guys have any suggestion on what Retrofit HYD Roller Lifters I should go with thanks. Des

vinniekq2 10-03-2012 10:09 PM

why dont you use solid rollers if you want to rev that high? use shafts also?

desmosis10 10-03-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1595997)
why dont you use solid rollers if you want to rev that high? use shafts also?

The reason i didn't really go with solid roller, I just didnt want to go thur the trouble of trying to adjust the valves and the headache especially for my first engine build so my engine builder told me to stay with HYD roller. Maybe on my next engine build I probably might go soild roller....

SSedan64 10-04-2012 05:28 PM

Some good Info/Ideas here, may help you.

Solid Roller Power From Hydraulic Lifters:
Roller Lifter Install - Solid Roller Power From Hydraulic Lifters - Car Craft Magazine


Three-Way Cam Lobe Shootout:
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...e/viewall.html

cobalt327 10-05-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desmosis10 (Post 1595994)
I looking for a Great set of Retrofit HYD Roller Lifters that can rev close to or to 7000rpm.
I'm using the AFR1103 heads 210cc competition heads I swapped the 710 solid roller springs for the AFR#8019 hyd roller 650 lift springs.

I really appreciate the advice if u guys have any suggestion on what Retrofit HYD Roller Lifters I should go with thanks. Des

Just good or different lifters will not necessarily get you to 7K rpm w/o probs. You should be using a soild valve train, but if that's just not going to happen, look into a rev kit to increase the rev range.

Good luck.

F-BIRD'88 10-06-2012 03:22 PM

Why does adjusting the valve lash have to be a Headache. It is not.
You are misinformed. Getting Hyd roller lifters to perform at high rpm is a headache.
All of the supposed advantages of a hyd roller lifter, Low maintance, long life, will be eliminated
once the spring pressure is jacked up enough and the internal plunger travel is limited, to allow a Hyd roller to rpm at this level. It will require just as much or more maintenance . any real or perceived low mantance durability advantage you think you will get will be gone. virtually eliminated ..
Such a hyd roller cam that will allow a hyd roller to actually perform at high rpm is costly.
A lot of it is in the cam lobe design. The typical off the shelf hyd roller cams are not what you want.

The solid roller cam and lifter set up will make more power and last longer when used at high rpm where actual big power and rpm is desired.

You will not save money or time, work and will make less power than a solid roller.
The valve lash on a correctly designed solid roller valve train stays set for a long time and is easy and quick to adjust. You will or should be changing the oil and filter more often than you will have the valve covers off.

The periodic valve lash adjustment is easily done cold and takes about 25 to 40 minutes to do all 16 valve on a V8.
Most times only a few of the 16 valves need actual lash adjustment.
Setting the valve lash "Hot" is not nessessary. Just set it cold .002 to .006" tighter than the recomended hot lash spec.

Once a summer is plenty. My bud here ran with no adjustment for over 2 years on his solid mechanical street roller 396 BBC.
The lash was only out a few thou. Minor lash touch up as all that was required.
He found it quite easy to do him self and not a headache at all or anything to be intinidated by.
(after graduating from the F-Bird'88 school of easy/no hassle valvetrain adjustment.)
The street solid roller valve train runs quiet. You have to really listen to tell the difference between it and hyd lifters.
Some hyd cams lifters are very noisey. The solids are actually quieter at idle.
All I had to do was drink the beverages. LOL Good to go for another year or so.

desmosis10 10-07-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327 (Post 1596287)
Just good or different lifters will not necessarily get you to 7K rpm w/o probs. You should be using a soild valve train, but if that's just not going to happen, look into a rev kit to increase the rev range.

Good luck.

Yeah I have a comp rev kit just was looking for some good lifters that will at least get me to 6800 if not 7000rpm, any suggestions?????

cobalt327 10-07-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desmosis10 (Post 1596766)
Yeah I have a comp rev kit just was looking for some good lifters that will at least get me to 6800 if not 7000rpm, any suggestions?????

Unfortunately, I have no first hand experience w/hydraulic lifter for use at 7K rpm.

But when I was researching this same thing a year ago, I had taken a hard look at the Lunati retro hydraulic roller lifters. They're designed to be compatible w/higher than normal spring pressure that's usually needed for elevated rpm use, so you might want to start there. Using the lightest possible valve train components will also help in general.

Good luck.

desmosis10 10-07-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327 (Post 1596780)
Unfortunately, I have no first hand experience w/hydraulic lifter for use at 7K rpm.

But when I was researching this same thing a year ago, I had taken a hard look at the Lunati retro hydraulic roller lifters. They're designed to be compatible w/higher than normal spring pressure that's usually needed for elevated rpm use, so you might want to start there. Using the lightest possible valve train components will also help in general.

Good luck.

alright, thanks yeah I believe those lifters are around 700 bucks. But if its wroth it I guess why not spend it... ill check them out thanks for the info

vinniekq2 10-07-2012 10:26 AM

buy the $400 dollar solid lifters,get a better camshaft like the article posted mentioned,use the $300 you saved and pay someone to adjust your valves.or,pay more for less?

desmosis10 10-07-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1596818)
buy the $400 dollar solid lifters,get a better camshaft like the article posted mentioned,use the $300 you saved and pay someone to adjust your valves.or,pay more for less?

yeah I should....lol first I have to find someone to buy the HYD roller cam I
bougt, also ill have to take the afr 210cc heads back to summitracing, I got them custom order for 650 hyd roller on the 210 heads instead of the 710 solid springs that cam with them... idk knowing me ill just keep hyd roller and just call it day

vinniekq2 10-07-2012 10:50 AM

afr are very good heads,build the engine,tune it on a dyno,go shred tires.30 hp one way or another wont make that much difference.

F-BIRD'88 10-07-2012 11:04 AM

The springs that are used for a STREET mechanical rolller are not the same as whats used on a race roller.
Your street rolller will not have .710" lift.

It will be .630" or less. (1.5 rocker) Keep the heads and get and add the right springs to suite the roller cam.
Get a complete street roller cam and kit and install it.

EG: Comp #K12-771-8

Mechanical street rollers use more spring pressure than a hyd roller but a bit less pressure than typical
competition race roller cam.

Typically 160 to 250 seat 400 to 550 open on street rollers.
Follow the cam makers recomendation for that specific cam.
The street roller cams made on the cast cam core tend to go easier on the spring pressure. (low cost)
The street roller cams made on the billet steel cam core can use more pressure. (higher cost stronger core)

Why pay someone to screw it up when you can do it yourself, correctly in a short time.
It is not hard and needs to be done correctly. Most, even so called pro mechanics don't do it right.
But you can.

Note* Doing the job correctly does not equal Hard to do.

desmosis10 10-07-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1596825)
afr are very good heads,build the engine,tune it on a dyno,go shred tires.30 hp one way or another wont make that much difference.

yeah true , maybe ill just put a 50 to a 100 shot of NOs on it...hahaha lol then ill be close with the hyd roller cam


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.