Hot Rod Forum banner

Good Shop Shoes

5K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  Rob Keller 
#1 ·
Anybody have a particular brand of shoes they swear by for spending long periods on your feet in the shop or on other concrete surfaces - like a factory? I've tried a number of different alternatives but still get tired/sore feet, legs, and back if I'm standing for extended periods.

#3 · (Edited)
I have been wearing "tread safe" I think made from Dr.Scolle's for years . at are sold at Wal Mart

The Soul ' s have a tread like a set of Micky Thompson's
they are sticky on just about every surface even with some oil on them.

I tried just about every variety but went to this style "the Captain" because
1 no laces
2 the sand does not get in as easy cause no tongue & laces
3 simple design less stitches to pull out & fail I have had them 3+ years now .
I have almost as much wear on the sides as on the bottoms from rolling on the creeper
4 they are oil resistant

The 1 thing that SUCKS with these is if the sand is wet it is damn near impossible to get it out of the treads :smash: :pain:

hell mart link

R :thumbup:

#4 ·
I like Red Wings. I'm usually on my feet, on concrete, 10-16 hours a day in the summer months doing my USDA job as an inspector. Dr Scholls memory inserts help out a lot also. I'm also going to look into those shoes Rod uses. :thumbup: Dan

#8 ·
I had the same problem for years, no matter what shoes I wore. Redwing, Dr Scholls, Rockports, nothing worked. I finally broke down and saw a podiatrist. Turned out I needed arch support insoles. No more hurting feet, legs and back now. And insurance covered the office visit!

Jamie

#10 ·
JamieK said:
I had the same problem for years, no matter what shoes I wore. Redwing, Dr Scholls, Rockports, nothing worked. I finally broke down and saw a podiatrist. Turned out I needed arch support insoles. No more hurting feet, legs and back now. And insurance covered the office visit!

Jamie

Now that's no joke!

I need to do this too
with the Diabetes & all that Nerve damage I have to watch my feet .

Now I never go outside with out something on my feet suck because I used to go everywhere bare foot . Didn't own any shoes :mwink:

CBOY glad you did so I could ask that hand question thread I started.

#11 ·
My USAF supplied Magnum combat boots are just great! :D

Seriously, they are comfortable and definitely designed for people on their feet all the time. Maybe I'm just used to them after several years of having to wear them though. The best thing you can do is get rubber mats to put in front of equipment you have to stand over a lot, and most of all take time to sit occasionally! Nothing beats a good shop stool, from tall ones at the bench to the short rollers when working low. Taking the load off for five minutes out of every hour or two helps more than any shoe.

#12 ·
I don't know if you are looking for Steel toes or not, but when it comes to a steel toe I never could find one that did not hurt my big toes or kill my feet. I've tried extra wides, the next size up, etc. A buddy had a pair of Florshiems on and he said they never hurt his feet ot toes. So when the truck came around, I thought what the hell and would give them a try. I am now on my second pair. I stand 12 hours or longer on concrete and my feet or legs never get tired and best of all, they are comfortable and the steel toe does not bother me at all. About $100/pair, but well worth it if they do not bother you. I know I am sold on them and would recommend them to anybody.

#13 ·
Kevin45 said:
I don't know if you are looking for Steel toes or not...
Steel toe not required. What I'm really after is the correct support so my back, legs, and feet are not beat after 4-5 hours working on a concrete floor.

I started "small" by getting some of the Dr. Scholls memory inserts yesterday and will be putting them to the test today. I also looked at the Tread Safe shoes Rob suggested...but I have a very high instep and I couldn't even get that particular style (elastic band over the top) on my feet. The Wally Mart also had some Dr. Scholls that might be a possibility but wanted to check out Some Redwings and now the Florshiems you had luck with.

Just thought, I should have titled this thread "Happy Feet".

#15 ·
I just remembered this after reading your last post

Wal Mart Sucks!

What I mean to say is these shoes come in wide width too each type/name are a bit different fit ,also nit every store carry's the same stuff.

Ask them to call around to see if they got something else .

These just happen to fit me OK not the greatest but not the worst.

If you have a weird foot like I do & got the $$ just go to the doctor do it right .

Or you will spend a lot of time $$ & pain = trial by error.

#16 ·
I currently wear Timberland "Pro" boots. And have been for a couple of years. On my last job I stayed on the run all day, no problem. At the end of the day I had to stand still working at a computer for about an hour. My feet hurt like heck every day from this. Even though I was standing on a "fatigue" mat and had extra inserts in my boots.
I changed jobs recently. From mostly outdoors I went to all day indoors working on a bare concrete floor. I was worried to deat if my feet could take it. After a couple of weeks I've found my feet hardly hurt at all anymore. The real difference is that I stay on the move all day. Same old boots.
When I buy new boots I take the old ones to work with me for a week or so. Just in case the new ones give trouble. That way I won't have to suffer the entire day.

#17 ·
Hey CBOY,

When we were issued boots in the service we were told to alternate each day. That was the best advice ( other than " keep your head down" ) we ever got,

When you find a good pair, then buy another pair and alternate every other day or so.

I wear some junk from Wally World, but I alternate every couple of days.

With all my medical problems, it's time for me to step up and invest in something better.

Let us know what you end up with ,okay?

454 RATTLER

#18 ·
Here's another vote for Redwings, just bought my 4th pair today. In that time they have went from $65 to $139 for the same thing (1986 to present) I worked for 9 yrs in a factory on my feet 8 hrs/day besides wore them everywhere else I went & they lasted at least 4 yrs usually more. The pair I have on now I have had since 1995 and have wore the sole down to less than half the thickness but the leather part is still good so I bought a new pair today & am going to have these resoled & use for working on cars, etc. They are pricey but actually work out to be less expensive than cheap boots when you figure how long you'll have them.

#19 ·
For the steel toes
Red Wing, and also the Sears DieHard.
Also--think about getting them a bit oversize----so yer tootsies can breath.

I have very short, wide feet----with a way high instep

Finding ANY shoe to fit my silly feet is nearly impossible-----8-1/2 EEE is still not fat enough, but is long enough---I end up with 9-1/2 EEE or or 10.

Also just getting dress shoes is a nightmare----as I travel frequently, lace up shoes are not an option for me (Airport security and strip searches----I am not going to be the one holding up the line). High instep makes these shoes nearly impossible to find.

Tennie runners-----hell, by the time I get one wide enough to go over my foot, those are way too long, and I start tripping over my own hoof coverings.

Just can't win

Bryan

#20 ·
Texas steer from Kmart. I have a 4 year old pair that I still wear the most. They get soaked with water everyday I wear them at my job. I am more than happy with my 40 dollar investment. Newer ones obviously(I have noticed) have lesser quality, as none of my alternates have lasted like my first pair.
I am debating trying the simpson pit shoes or crew shoes I forget what they call em.

#22 ·
I have tried about everything and in the mud and rocks around the mines NOTHING beats Redwings for comfort and durability! That is the reason nearly eveyone there wears them and would have nothing else. As we always said "The only thing better than a new pair of Redwings is an OLD pair of Redwings" :)

DeathRattle, Surely you are joking :confused:

#23 ·
oldred said:
No really. I have some supremely old texas steer boots. All the new ones split at outer side of arch on the sole. I have been sized up for red wings in the past. But the price always scares me away. And yes I know I have bought 4 pairs of steers that range from 30-40 a pair. Do the math I have spent over one pair of red wings.
As we speak I have the oldest pair. I use them almost every day still. Still comfortable. I wish I would have bought two pairs at the same time.
Don't make me take a picture, :) I will..If you really want to see em. Really run down but don't leak and are well broken in.

#24 ·
oldred said:
I was thinking the same thing when I read his comment. When I worked the grunt end of construction I bought a pair ONCE, I wore them two days and threw them away.
As posted by members, feet come in all sizes and shapes, when you find one that works for you, stick with it.
I know people that could sleep on cardboard, I have a $900 mattress that kills me. :confused:

#26 ·
I have a pair of Georgia Boots as my daily shoe of choice (steel toe--right around $80 with insoles IIRC) that I've had for nearly a year. So far, they've lasted pretty well for 8 to 10 on concrete and another 5 to 8 on other surfaces. I don't wear them that much on weekends, but I'll buy another pair in a heartbeat. I had a pair of Sears Roebucks once that lasted about a year and a half, but they must have been a fluke. Next pair got tossed about 3 months later.

In a while, Chet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.