Hot Rod Forum banner

Goodbye American Chopper.

15K views 75 replies 27 participants last post by  BogiesAnnex1 
#1 ·
#73 ·
A few years back I attended a custom bike show. A couple of true builders like Dave Perewitz and Billy Lane were there. The producer of the Biker Build Off series was also there and I got to talk to him. I asked why they never had the Teutals on the biker build off...........he said........"would you want to watch them build a bike with there personalities".
The Biker build off show was a true bike building experience to watch. Those guys like Matt Hotch etc are the best when it comes to building a really nice bike.

#74 ·
I agree and I was turned off of the show partly by the mentality of them also by the ***** they kept building... every one of the bikes HAD to have those ugly wide rear tires. Most of the crap they put together would probably fail even the simplest of inspections. Ralph Nader would class these things as UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED including PARKED !!

#76 ·
Yes, this was before a way was found to return the trail distance and positive/negative direction to something that was managable. The early bikes simply angled the steering head and used long forks. This resulted in big and often uncontrollable steering problems by upsetting the distance and direcction between where a line drawn along the fork would enter the pavement and where a vertical line from the pavement thorugh the axle occurs. The solution was to also angle the forks by changing the pitch of the upper to lower tripple tree. Doing this kept the radical chopped and raked out look of the front end but put the true angles and distance between the theoretical point of fork rotation and the actual point of tire contact with the pavement back into the managable range of a positive 4 to 6 inches.

Bogie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.